It's too fast to delete a lifetime license

jwn

Verified User
Lifetime license has been removed from https://www.directadmin.com/pricing.php :confused: Very fast action indicates the preparation of the trend license model per account based pricing will be applied in the future.

I haven't had the chance to order a life license because it's still a stage of trying out what DA features and conveniences for my customers. When I wanted to buy a life license it was no longer available.

DA has done a lot of price changes in the last 3 months, recently I moved some clients to DirectAdmin, but it seems like DA price changes that too often make me think again.

I'm sure in the near future DA will apply the same price and license models with cPanel. Money will defeat the rules that have been made, nowadays customer satisfaction is not prioritized. :(

It was announced that these lost leader licences would be removed in July, now in August they have been. No surprises.

DirectAdmin has been around for years - you've just come late to the party.

The lifetime licences are not viable - how would you continue to fix and support these with no further revenue?

Nobody likes to miss out on a deal, but I can't apologize for removing an unsustainable product.

We've offered the same products at the same price for 17 years. Our new retail pricing keeps the monthly license at the same price, introduces two lower-price options, and removes what has now become unprofitable/unsustainable.

Also note, this is retail pricing. Always check with your server provider to see if they can put DA onto your machine at a much lower cost.

I haven't had the chance to order a life license because it's still a stage of trying out what DA features and conveniences for my customers. When I wanted to buy a life license it was no longer available.
You should wait until september 1st then. DA had announced that there will be a lifetime licenses again for new customers, just different than the ones there were.
Still $ 299,00 with 1 year of upgrades and support. After that the license will keep on working, you are free to pay $99 for an additional year of support and da upgrades. But it will also keep working.
As far as I know, this version will come available after september 1st. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You can't expect company's to keep prices and options the same forever. CPanel also had lifetime license long ago and stopped selling them. And look what they did with their prices. DA never did such things.

DA has done a lot of price changes in the last 3 months, recently I moved some clients to DirectAdmin, but it seems like DA price changes that too often make me think again.
No they didn't. The only changed the construction. Stopped the old (now called) owned licenses and added personal and lite.
Seems to me after 15 or 17 years, every company is entitled to do a price change to keep in business.

Actually, the current pricing you see now is all there is going to be. I'm going to head over to the other thread and edit the main post regarding $299 + $99. There's a couple reasons for this.

- It's not really a lifetime, it's a yearly license with a higher upfront cost. It's going to (and already has) confused people thinking that it's still our regular lifetime license.

- We've been contacted by industry security experts, asking us to rethink this license type. It encourages people to save money by not paying for updates, leaving outdated & potentially vulnerable software on the server -- making it a risk to itself and other servers on the net.

We wanted to have some kind of transition product from the $299 lifetime but I think it's better to cut the lifetime model and just move on to something more sustainable, but fair.

As for the security risks, I don't fully agree, because of the fact that this is already happening. Users with older DA versions and user with php 5.3 or worse which are already a longer time EOL and end of support.
The upfront costs are higher, but against that recalculated monthly costs are way lower.
As for the people thinking it's stille the regular lifetime, they should learn to read. :)

Combining those reasons however I can understand the decision to do this, but it should be made very clear to everybody in that case.

We wanted to have some kind of transition product from the $299 lifetime but I think it's better to cut the lifetime model and just move on to something more sustainable, but fair.
Understandable, but lots of people only read that first part of the thread. Others read more explanations about it further on. So editting and adjusting this would probably not be enough because it's mentioned by others too as explanation later on.

It might be wise to start a new thread announcing this re-thought about the new lifetime licenses not coming. So it's very clear to everybody.

Actually, the current pricing you see now is all there is going to be. I'm going to head over to the other thread and edit the main post regarding $299 + $99. There's a couple reasons for this.

- It's not really a lifetime, it's a yearly license with a higher upfront cost. It's going to (and already has) confused people thinking that it's still our regular lifetime license.

- We've been contacted by industry security experts, asking us to rethink this license type. It encourages people to save money by not paying for updates, leaving outdated & potentially vulnerable software on the server -- making it a risk to itself and other servers on the net.

"Security Experts", LOL. You forcing $30/mo option instead of 299 "owned" +99/year updates is 100% greed, don't fool yourself!

Back