Interest survey - 'remade/refreshed' enhanced skin

ddezee

Hi Guys,

Recently, a lot of new themes (including DirectAdmin's own enhanced theme with 3 different styles in it - nice job guys :D) have been released and/or being optimized more and more - the one thing i miss most is the classic 'Enhanced' theme workflow - with all the animations it takes me much longer to set up a domain and be on my way. That's why i decided to start a little project to make the enhanced theme to look a little more modern, while not losing any of the functionality. I'd love to know what you guys think of it - if there is enough interest i can continue to develop this and release it for free to the community, as a sort of side project (this way i'll also have something to do for fun in the evenings ;-))

Dmn9dbL.png

Please let me know any suggestions - this is just the UI design currently - and i can change anything easily. Again, if there is enough interest, i'd be happy to code this and give it out for free to the community, and keep it up to date ofcourse ;)

Thank you for your time and reading this - and god bless DirectAdmin!:cool:

Please note that i do also appreciate feedback - this will help the design process a lot :)

It's very sleak and gets straight to the point, nice one!

Whether people use it themselves or even if it just inspires them to do their own customisations I think if you're enjoying the process definitely keep going with it.

Cheers =]

Nice work.
Maybe add one suplemental color somewhere to 'spruce things up a bit' perhaps, but keeping things at their original places is already good imo.

Nice work, but a little bit too basic to my liking. I guess like @BBM said 'spruce things up a bit' will make it more attractive.

It ain't much if it ain't dutch
:cool:

Hey @ddezee,

There would be a lot of cP > DA folks flowing in, including end-user of resellers.

I suggest you apply icons to your theme as well, so it will be easy to scan.

I think new(er) users don't quite understand yet why the 'Enhanced' theme has been so popular over the years; It's mainly because there are no icons with common used items and there is no real other distracting stuff going on.
If you want icons, better switch back to the 'Basic' DA-theme or the new Evolution-theme.

I think new(er) users don't quite understand yet why the 'Enhanced' theme has been so popular over the years; It's mainly because there are no icons with common used items and there is no real other distracting stuff going on.
If you want icons, better switch back to the 'Basic' DA-theme or the new Evolution-theme.

I also don't want to learn what icons means as the short texts explains itself.

I you want it on small screens then maybe as the hamburger menu yup for mobile view only.

BUT why to use a .... little monitor as you can use a 32" or even 40".

If space is enough for self explaining texts for the buttons/links it is nonsence to translate this to some icons and learn them, if icons together with text uhum that is wasting space.

YUP icons maybe could look nice, but big example if all power buttons could have ( space) for text "power button / on-off" more people could find those. ( if you are longer in support you know what i mean, :cool: )

Last edited:

this. Enhanced is great because it's fast. You don't want to clutter it up with animations, icons etc. For that purpose we have Evolution.

Very nice update to the enhanced theme. Definitely interested.

Would like to see it complete and kept updated alongside with new DA releases.

Please proceed.

Sure, since evolution themes are quite heavy on access because all process render run inside JS. Many user will happy use Enhanced themes. But the hardest thing is updating the code every time a new version of DA is available

I like the Evolution theme as being a modern looking theme. However, we switch instantly to enhanced since this has a more clear and better overview of the options so is easier to work with, ofcourse also because we're used to it. Evolution will take some getting used to also.

However, this looks nice. I agree with BBM and Zeiter.

Looking good!

This looks great. Though the Evolution skin looks nice, it feels slower and the loader is annoying (going full screen and such).
Also for some reason I am searching everytime for small things. But this can be to the fact that I am not yet used to the new skin.
The original skin is way to dated (has been for many years) and is something I like to avoid.

This appears to look great @ddezee, I hope you will continue working on it!

I'am also looking for replacing evolution skin since receiving many slow issue, and not recommended run all php/html/database inside jquery like evolution skin. Confused with directadmin dev why use external skin instead update the default skin that faster, secure, friendly and provide user saticfation than evolution skin.

Waiting this thread active again.

I too am finding the animations a bit dated...for a panel that wants to be fastest, there is a lot of cruft for people that want to get things done. I still like DA, but some areas can definitely use improvement.

I'am also looking for replacing evolution skin since receiving many slow issue, and not recommended run all php/html/database inside jquery like evolution skin. Confused with directadmin dev why use external skin instead update the default skin that faster, secure, friendly and provide user saticfation than evolution skin.

Waiting this thread active again.

It doesn't use jquery. May you attach comparison of your "network" tab when you open "create user" in Evolution vs. Enhanced for example? Evolution should download just some bytes of JSON, 1 HTTP request, while enhanced would refresh whole page, make a lot of HTTP requests and load different elements.

For others complaining on Evolution - I'm not sure why couldn't the complaints just be solved, instead of re-creating something else? :) It's not the first time I hear about re-doing it instead of fixing it. Is it the design (and all the layouts: standard, sidebar, icons grid, hybrid) that you do not like? If yes, suggestions for design elements are welcome.

I will try Enhanced and compare to Evolution to see which is speedier. It won't matter what I use on my own server, because customers' servers will almost all be using Evolution with Icon Grid. So for 95% of my work in DA, switching skins isn't an option.

Back