Sad

idosha

Verified User
Very sad that the "owned" licenses will not be available. I totally understand the "lifetime" licenses being removed.

My issue is most "security updates" are handled by the OS, NOT DA or cpanel... so it is not necessary to keep cpanel or DA updated unless a critical error is discovered. Cpanel/DA are simply a collection of scripts to easily maintain a server. Those scripts are NOT worth a constant $30/month for hosts like myself.

- I DON'T NEED MORE FEATURES
- I DON'T NEED SUPPORT

If I needed those things in the future I would be happy to pay $99+/yr for "more updates/support."

Just VERY sad to see DA go this route as it screws over hosts like myself and I was hoping DA would be my salvation a couple months ago when cpanel blindsided us.

FYI- I'm a free host so no we don't have money to pay for useless stuff! We host sites that would almost never pay for hosting anyway.

Nobody likes higher prices. I do believe that the removal of Owned licenses could've been communicated a lot better. However, I also believe that the decision to remove these is ultimately for the best.

Yes, a lot of security updates are OS related. However, updates for common services such as Apache, MySQL, BIND, Exim etc. are normally all handled by the DirectAdmin update process. Access to this would be lost and that would potentially be a major security risk. And sure, you may be able to work around this, but the vast majority of users would be unable to.

It is an ongoing trend for developers to move away from lifetime licenses. Interworx have also recently removed theirs. I believe your only remaining option if you are deadset on a lifetime license is apnscp. I have no knowledge of this panel. I do know that their lifetime licenses will also be removed somewhere in the very near future.

I know that this is likely the last thing that you want to hear, but have you considered using a free panel? Virtualmin GPL is probably the best of the bunch, though it does have a bit of a learning curve. Personally, if I'd offer free hosting I'd consider matching that up with free and open source software.

I was lucky enough to find a lifetime license for DA, sadly I don't "own" it so who knows if it will in fact last a lifetime.

Also I totally disagree with the new way as "the only way"... In the past it was very common for "owned" licenses to allow you to stop getting new updates/features while still receiving critical updates. But with today's GREED I understand this is no longer the "norm" as it once was. This is WRONG on the part of every software producer and THEY ARE TO BLAME for the security issues, not hosts that don't have enough money to PAY TO PLAY!!!! Does Microsoft charge you to get updates to an OS you already own? NO.

I think I've made my point!

I was lucky enough to find a lifetime license for DA, sadly I don't "own" it so who knows if it will in fact last a lifetime.

Also I totally disagree with the new way as "the only way"... In the past it was very common for "owned" licenses to allow you to stop getting new updates/features while still receiving critical updates. But with today's GREED I understand this is no longer the "norm" as it once was. This is WRONG on the part of every software producer and THEY ARE TO BLAME for the security issues, not hosts that don't have enough money to PAY TO PLAY!!!! Does Microsoft charge you to get updates to an OS you already own? NO.

I think I've made my point!

Your comparing doesn't add up. Microsoft licenses aren't lifetime you need a new one as soon as you have a new computer. Microsoft charges a lot to corporate customers to compensate for the low OEM licenses fees and they also have a lot of additional products like Outlook, office and others they make money on.

If you think that the prices for a DirectAdmin licenses are to high then you are doing something wrong. You can get the personal license for just $2 a month and you can get a unlimited domain license with a lot of VPS suppliers for just $5 a month. Don't forget that people actually work every day at DirectAdmin to make the control panel safer and better, why should they work for free? Do you work for free?

Last edited:
Your comparing doesn't add up. Microsoft licenses aren't lifetime you need a new one as soon as you have a new computer. Microsoft charges a lot to corporate customers to compensate for the low OEM licenses fees and they also have a lot of additional products like Outlook, office and others they make money on.

If you think that the prices for a DirectAdmin licenses are to high then you are doing something wrong. You can get the personal license for just $2 a month and you can get a unlimited domain license with a lot of VPS suppliers for just $5 a month. Don't forget that people actually work every day at DirectAdmin to make the control panel safer and better, why should they work for free? Do you work for free?

Most Microsoft software has a "lifetime cycle" that clearly spells out how long updates last. Even then you can still run the software with no further updates. I am sad to see the option of "stop paying while keeping an older version" going away as it leaves little options for hosts that may not be able to afford a constant $30/month per server (I don't run tiny VPS's)...

I run a free hosting business so yes I work for free most of the time. Not everything in this world is about making a profit.

I do expect software developers to "work for free" when they are fixing security updates caused by their "bad coding". I expect software developers to get paid for providing NEW TOOLS and making the software better in other ways. I don't expect to have to pay $30/month "just to keep it working"...

It's sad we only now have the options of $XX/month or "open source". We no longer have a "middle ground" company that will let you purchase a permanent license.

I call it greed, you can call it what you want but we will never agree I am sure of that ; )

Your comparing doesn't add up. Microsoft licenses aren't lifetime you need a new one as soon as you have a new computer.
That is not true. We're talking retail licenses here which are more expensive. They are also more expensive with Microsoft and thus you can use them again when you have a new computer. That's what retail is all about.

I do expect software developers to "work for free" when they are fixing security updates caused by their "bad coding". I expect software developers to get paid for providing NEW TOOLS and making the software better in other ways. I don't expect to have to pay $30/month "just to keep it working"...
A nice but commercially total unsustainable way of working, because you don't only get "a tool".

The $30 a month is for support of everything and development of NEW features.
Next to that, this money is also for security and other updates of software not part of this "tool".
And you even get support for things you messed up yourself on the server.
And it's retail.

You are working with Directadmin which is only a control panel. The money you pay is so you can update all other tools like php, apache, etc. via the panel. They take care you can do this in a timely manner.
The way you are looking at it, you could get a control panel end of story.
No then you would only pay for a lot less amount of money. But in that case you have to take care yourself of updating and fixing all other 3rd party things you're making use of on your server.

The world is ideed about making a profit otherwise company's can't live. And again, this is retail. On hosters and datacenters there are enough where you only have to pay $5 a month for DA. There are even providers which provide DA for free.

So your comparison with an average tool is totally wrong.

We no longer have a "middle ground" company that will let you purchase a permanent license.
Correct and with good reason. And DA was the only company which was so nice to provide this still for so many years, while all others stopped this because it's bad for business. You can't make a living from lifetime licenses in this business with this kind of software.

Seems to me you are not very awak about what's happening all over, mostly started from the States by the way.
Because this is also happening with forum software out there. Monthly payment for having a forum with support. Yes there still are some lifetime licenses, but you have to pay for support every half a year. And even on some the build-in anti-spam tools are not working anymore when the support is not payed anymore. So they also are changing.

I call it greed, you can call it what you want but we will never agree I am sure of that ; )
Well, when you can't see the difference between some software tool and the things DA is doing, and price difference between retail and OEM or in this case retail and datacenter prices, I can understand you won't agree.

I run a free hosting business so yes I work for free most of the time. Not everything in this world is about making a profit.
Correct, but in that case you don't have to live from yuor business, most of us do.
I also do a lot of things for free, because I don't have to live from them.

I'm very dissapointed people keep wining about changes which happen all over the world and don't see the fact that DA is for example the ONLY company offering a panel for hobbyists (personal) and starting company's now (lite version). And still via the datacenter you can have it almost for free instead of 29 dollar.
Why don't you take a license for 5 dollar and stop complaining about the 29 dollar or more you also have to pay for cPanel.

Last edited:
The money you pay is so you can update all other tools like php, apache, etc. via the panel.
LOL, DA doesn't provide security updates for those things, those are done by totally different teams/companies and most are free open source software. DA just packages those items with it's "panel". With my setup KernalCare is what protects my server from getting hacked, DA (or cpanel for that fact) do NOTHING except "control panel things". I don't think you "understand" what DA is responsible for and what is actually made by completely separate "open source" projects.

No then you would only pay for a lot less amount of money. But in that case you have to take care yourself of updating and fixing all other 3rd party things you're making use of on your server.
This is EXACTLY what I want! BTW Last I checked DA/Cpanel doesn't "auto update" any 3rd party software, that is all done manually or via Kernal Care...

You can't make a living from lifetime licenses in this business with this kind of software.
So you are telling me cPanel & DirectAdmin along with thousands of other companies made ZERO MONEY for the last 20+ years with permanent licenses? Sorry but obviously they made "plenty" of money otherwise they would have went out of business years ago! GREED is the only thing that has changed with ALL tech companies switching to "pay to play" subscriptions.

Seems to me you are not very awak about what's happening all over, mostly started from the States by the way.
I 100% understand and disagree with the greed of the tech industry. That is the point of my post.. I hope you are smart enough to realize that.

@IDOSHA
SIMPLE AS EXPECTED THE SAME AND SAME AGAIN PF.

Read here you're not the only one whose is having a license or want one whatever.

So you'r talking for yourself?

While https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58091&page=10&p=300921#post300921
They did need extra personal tor hire and so on.

The cheap CPANELS ..... did come here to DA to with only few license per person , then you have a lot of extra support per user / per license , so again you're not alone yes or no you need support doesn't matter at all.

While the total amount of hours needed for all totals makes simple yes or no you can run DA for more years, while DA can pay the BILLS. ( and as everybody also knows hours have become much more expensive , also more complex things so more extra hours to.

https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58091&page=10&p=300921#post300921

So you all i think have to understand the whole picture, and not talking / thinking for only how it is for you .

Other company's arent't DA so doesn't make sence to compare , while very different workflows , structures and so on.
;) :cool:

Again also no one is forced to Use, buy, or whatever DA control panel , there are much more options if you want cheaper go ahead.

Everybody take care of own budget and the rest to have it fit well.

If someone think GREED is .... then don't use DA or whatever software you think about in that way, it's better for your health , go to free opensource or write some yourself.

We do it that way for more then 30 years now , so if we don't like the kind of pricing , or isn't within our budget we don't "wine" we say simple goodbuy it was nice for the time beeing and so on.

I don't like such in CP panel and forums to that kind of ........ sh. . BUT: put that game face on and just shine. :rolleyes:

And yes i have same problem to, to late for buying such licenses to because i wasn't ready with some planning.

I did point out some of the points before not raising prices and so on, but again and again and again and again, makes no sense ??

Also i don't know guy's that are really active on Supportforum helping out others or made active suggestions , bugs reports and so none or only very few are complaining , how so.?

Last edited:
I would LOVE to use an open source panel, but sadly none of them support WHMCS and that is what I already have a lifetime license for so I see no reason to switch it at this time. I found a DA lifetime license so I am fine with the changes... I am just expressing how "sad" I am that the "middle ground" option is no longer available. A cheaper version should be available for those that want zero support. That is my beleif and companies that don't offer it anymore are just plain greedy. That is my "opinion" and nothing you state will ever change that.

I'm 100% certain I posted this in the correct forum to "dicuss" things... I am not trying to call out just DA in being greedy with the changes to the licenses, I'm calling out all tech companies switching to this UNSUPPORTABLE model! Sorry but monthly payments for software isn't something I will ever agree with, PERIOD!

I'm 100% certain I posted this in the correct forum to "dicuss" things... I am not trying to call out just DA in being greedy with the changes to the licenses, I'm calling out all tech companies switching to this UNSUPPORTABLE model! Sorry but monthly payments for software isn't something I will ever agree with, PERIOD!

Yea that's life, if that was possible we then don't pay for monthly software of our TAX software to our accountants to, and the parts for our Lawyer... , IPv4 adresses ( only few example) . ALSO PERIOD hihi sorry.

We don't rent our HOUSE, we don't even pay mortgage, so yup i do understand in some way ( while we pay for WATER (clean water should be enough and free avaible in the world for everyone, Nestl.. grr.), and and), but don't understand how much time and again and again you're writing here about that ( paying CONTROL PANEL) , knowing you can't change it i guess.

However together we could change/solve a lot of the WATER problems in the world if more are so active as you're here i guess.

Last edited:
idosha said:
LOL, DA doesn't provide security updates for those things, those are done by totally different teams/companies and most are free open source software.
LoL, you have to do a better job reading. I didn't say DA was providing security updates, I said it takes care so you can update the. So via custombuild, you don't have to compile them yourself.

This is EXACTLY what I want! BTW Last I checked DA/Cpanel doesn't "auto update" any 3rd party software, that is all done manually or via Kernal Care...
If that is what you want, start your own product. BTW, you checked wrongly. Explain me why for example my phpmyadmin and roundcube gets autoupdated?
Other things you have to do manually yes. But it can be done via a custombuild plugin, makes life easier. You have to build a plugin for that anyway. Kernal Care is also a plugin btw.

So you are telling me cPanel & DirectAdmin along with thousands of other companies made ZERO MONEY for the last 20+ years with permanent licenses? Sorry but obviously they made "plenty" of money otherwise they would have went out of business years ago! GREED is the only thing that has changed with ALL tech companies switching to "pay to play" subscriptions.
I can guarantee you DA made a lot less money then cPanel, just because they were not greedy, and they still aren't. Ofcourse they made money with lifetime licenses, but you can't keep existing on them. So it's not 20+ years to begin with. For DA it's 17.
Did you even compare prices between cPanel lifetime and DA lifetime? For the just $299 from DA you can't expect them to keep creating new features and options and making the panel better.
That's because cPanel stopped long ago with lifetime. You want to make a living, not just money.
You call them greedy, you can just as well say you're stingy.

I 100% understand and disagree with the greed of the tech industry. That is the point of my post.. I hope you are smart enough to realize that.
I'm smart enough to know how business work and every industry want to make more money every year. I'm also smart enough that company's not changing prices for 17 years and introducing licenses for hobbyist and starting company's for very nice retail prices, can not be called greedy.

If your point is that company's should not want to make more money every year, I might agree, but there are lots of company's which at least aren't greedy.
Next to that, you did not explain how you can do everything for free. You also need to make a living. And that won't be different then with any other company, so in that case, every company is greedy according to your statement.
Bread and milk get more expensive every year... so bakers and farmers are also greedy? I hope you're also smart enough to understand the point I'm making.
Some things are part of life, and has nothing to do with greed. And you can't call them greedy because they don't give you what maybe just a very few people would like. Because indeed in that case there was not much reason to have prices. Can't make a living from that either. Neither can you with free hosting.
You're nifty because you only want DA to pay for your free hosting. One could say that too. Looks more like it to me, sorry.

Like Ikkeben I would suggest using open source then. That's developped for people who would rather not or can't pay money or just want things for free. I also like open source.

Or even better, develop a good panel yourself and then provide it for free to everybody. We would like that too. :)

P.s. you can also call WHMCS greedy then, because you have to pay that too and they don't develop a plugin for open source. LoL.

Last edited:
The only thing i wined myself is the reason DA did not tell it's clients that owned package is going away, that was nostalgic and straightly felt like decision from greedy cpanel. I do not care. I never trust and count on any company's policy even if they are nice to you at first, because changes are always inevitable and you know how it can go.

Last edited:
The only thing i wined myself is the reason DA did not tell it's clients that owned package is going away,
In that case you wined for the wrong reason. They did tell, in their first post of the announcement. However, they did also say it would be replaced by another one and then re-thought about that. I can understand the irritation about that.
The only thing which they did not tell was that the yearly subscribtion also would go. I can understand people find this pity and even get a bit angry about it because that was not announced.

However, lots of company's don't tell or only at te last moment when they stop lifetime licenses, cPanel, WHMCS....

idosha said:
I would LOVE to use an open source panel, but sadly none of them support WHMCS and that is what I already have a lifetime license for so I see no reason to switch it at this time.

Virtualmin GPL does support WHMCS (eventhough only Virtualmin Pro is mentioned on the WHMCS website) and there are a few more if you check the various developer websites.

Back