Backup options driving me insane!!!!

garymchu

Ok this is driving me to despair and I am severely regretting not paying Cpanel their stupid price rises.

On my cpanel set up I ran a daily backup for all accounts which I stored on my Google Drive (Unlimited) It just stored full backups of each site which if i needed to I could download from a certain date and retrieve any files or folders quickly. This was done from some facility in Cpanel itself that my server management people set up.

It seems the ONLY option I have in DA is to back up the whole server each day by ftp to a remote server because DA doesn't have an option to back up to Google Drive. From these backups I can not retrieve single accounts or files.

The alternative is the modmaster plugin which only does incremental backups, so if for example a client site gets compromised and they don't notice for 2 days there is no recovery option for them, I can not simply restore a backup from 3 days ago without me taking the whole damned server back 3 days which of course is NOT going to happen.

I CAN NOT BELIEVE that a hosting control panel in this day and age is so bloody poor when it comes to backups or am I missing something here?

I have two small VPS with about 40 clients I do NOT have hundreds of dollars to spend on storage, the way this is looking I will end up spending more on storage and the modmaster plugin than I would have paid Cpanel for their inflated pricing.

How are you guys doing this and still safeguarding your clients data? To say I am frustrated after messing with my server management people for FIVE DAYS on this is an understatement.

Ok this is driving me to despair and I am severely regretting not paying Cpanel their stupid price rises.

On my cpanel set up I ran a daily backup for all accounts which I stored on my Google Drive (Unlimited) It just stored full backups of each site which if i needed to I could download from a certain date and retrieve any files or folders quickly. This was done from some facility in Cpanel itself that my server management people set up.

It seems the ONLY option I have in DA is to back up the whole server each day by ftp to a remote server because DA doesn't have an option to back up to Google Drive. From these backups I can not retrieve single accounts or files.

The alternative is the modmaster plugin which only does incremental backups, so if for example a client site gets compromised and they don't notice for 2 days there is no recovery option for them, I can not simply restore a backup from 3 days ago without me taking the whole damned server back 3 days which of course is NOT going to happen.

I CAN NOT BELIEVE that a hosting control panel in this day and age is so bloody poor when it comes to backups or am I missing something here?

I have two small VPS with about 40 clients I do NOT have hundreds of dollars to spend on storage, the way this is looking I will end up spending more on storage and the modmaster plugin than I would have paid Cpanel for their inflated pricing.

How are you guys doing this and still safeguarding your clients data? To say I am frustrated after messing with my server management people for FIVE DAYS on this is an understatement.

With modmaster (lite) plugin you can set 14 restore points and it will rsync the files to the remote location, for example and then you can restore the compromised website folder from the date you choose

Also this is a good strategy
https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58157

Hi,

Please can you clarify your problem because its not clear to me
As CPANEL and DA you can setup your backup policy
Here is more flexible as you can setup many cronjob based on spesific user
I believe already you have see this : https://help.directadmin.com/?topic=18
If you want to use your Google Drive or whatever other then Google is your friend to this
Search mount google drive to your OS
Its very easy to mount it as separate disc
Look example for CENTOS
https://www.google.com/search?q=cen...rome..69i57.6562j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

No Need Making Your Life Much Harder Than It Needs To Be

Last edited:
Modmaster rock!

All done!

Dmitry at modmaster rocked, he pointed me to some decent backup space for very little money and set up their Backup Manager on both my VPS within hours. My current server support team have been messing with this for 7 days. Actually thinking of switching to their server support too, a little more but much more effective.

For reference not affiliate links I grabbed backup server here
https://contabo.com/

and like I said Dmitry at https://www.modmaster.pro/ even set it all up for me.

Job done back to building websites.

I'm trying the free trial but can't get AWS S3 configured. I get this error when running a test connection:

Unknown AWS Ccli errror code #255

I have reached out to Modmasters to see if they can give me a hand. I never thought I'd be missing a cpanel feature but I miss not having a robust end user feature that was a breeze to setup. I had all accounts backup and moved to my S3 bucket and never had an issue for 5+ years.

Back