Sort files in tmp directory

LawsHosting

Verified User
I noticed there are 'sort<random 6 alphanumeric>' files appeared/appearing in /tmp/, over 600GB of the damn things!

Never ever seen this behaviour before, however, upon 'cat'ing' one of these, it appears that it's to do with a Wordpress plugin, UpDraftPlus...

Anyone have any experience with this plugin, and why does it use /tmp/, or doesn't clean up after itself..... Typical Wordpress devs, lazy.

From 867GB to 340GB used space.......

And people wonder why I *hate* Wordpress........ It's like having the flu.......

Oh wow that's a lot.
Did you install tmpwatch for your server? That should clean up things to begin with hopefully, unless you already have it installed.

Next to that, when I started searching on Google for this, it appears there are more users complaining and not seeing any solutions from the plugin devs.
The only thing they are saying is something about updraft backups but nothing about the /tmp usage.

I like Wordpress, but some plugins.. OMG.

What user owns the files?

The question becomes... is this something in your PHP configuration that is leading this plugin to save the files in /tmp or is it something configured in the user's account (i.e. in the user's plugin configuration) that is saving the files in /tmp. If it's the former, that might be something you need to research and remedy, set it to where it saves these files in the user's home directory... taking up their space.

If it's something the end-user has configured... I suppose further research might be warranted. Is this the default behavior for the plugin or something that the user themselves configured? You can suspend or disable the account to prevent such abuse until they understand that they are causing problems.

Back