How to choose MariaDB and PHP versions for fresh DA install?

beansbaxter

Verified User
When I install DA on a new server, I've done both ways - manual choosing the CustomBuild option in Setup, and the "auto" parameter for an easy DA setup.

What are the steps to choose the specific versions of the software you want the first time you install DA?

For example, I want to install DirectAdmin with Apache 2.4, MariaDB 10.2, and PHP 7.

It would be nice to choose exactly what is wanted, instead of having to install DA and then remove MySQL and upgrade everything else.

Running CentOS 7 if it matters.

Thanks in advance.

1. do installation normally (choose apache, php 7 etc)
2. when it asks you if you want to to search for fastest mirrors, pause here (dont answer yet) and ssh to your server, edit the "/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf" and choose exactly what you want here, for example set mysql_inst to mariadb, also choose the version for example set mariadb to 10.4
3. save the file and continue the installation.

Last edited:
Thanks. That worked exactly as you described.

I chose a normal CentOS 7 installation, waited at the question asking for fastest mirrors, SSH into the server from a second terminal window, and I was able to make changes to the options.conf file, telling DA to install PHP 5 and 7 along with MariaDB 10.2

And then chose yes for the fastest mirrors and everything worked great when finished.

Thank you for the assist.

Now fresh DA install ask to choose sql server and version, but ignores it.
Centos 7, fresh install, selected MariaDB 10.3, but installed 5.5

1. do installation normally (choose apache, php 7 etc)
2. when it asks you if you want to to search for fastest mirrors, pause here (dont answer yet) and ssh to your server, edit the "/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf" and choose exactly what you want here, for example set mysql_inst to mariadb, also choose the version for example set mariadb to 10.4
3. save the file and continue the installation.

I have tried number of times to install DA on FreeBSD 11.2/11.3/12.0 with mysql with no success, when I changed to mariadb and followed directions above I am getting a bit further now but still getting errors afterwards. I'm fed up.... anyone can help please ?

To install MariaDB, instead of MySQL, you have to change 2 options in the DA options configuration:

Open your first SSH window into your server, install the DA install script:

Code:
wget http://www.directadmin.com/setup.sh
chmod 755 setup.sh
./setup.sh

Go through the steps. When it asks if you want to install default configuration settings, say yes. When it asks to search for the closest DA mirror to continue installation, pause and do nothing.

Open a second SSH window, and:

Code:
nano /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf

Change the MariaDB version your preferred version, and change the MySQL Install option to MariaDB:

Code:
mariadb=10.2
mysql_inst=mariadb

Save your options.conf file, close this SSH window, and go back to your first SSH window and proceed with Yes, search for the closest mirror.

And DA will install based upon the options.conf variables you've chosen.

I've done this multiple times in the last few weeks and it's worked great.

Hope that helps.

I'm doing a new DirectAdmin installation... the techs from the data center did the basic installation and I can already SSH into the server and log into DirectAdmin via the IP address... I started the configuration using these instructions...

3. Configure your server​

1. Customize a skin - perform branding to make your server your own.
  2. Select your WWW server.
  3. Set up proper nameservers.
  4. Use clients' assigned IPs for their domains to send from when sending mailopen in new window.
  5. Enable backups for both the system and users.
  6. Enable BubbleWrap jail for users (CentOS 7 required).
Consider using CloudLinuxopen in new window for better stability, security, and per-account resource management.

I am on step 3 and I am executing these lines of code in the terminal...
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set webserver apache
./build php1_mode fastcgi
./build php2_mode fastcgi
./build php3_mode fastcgi
./build php4_mode fastcgi
./build apache
./build php n
./build rewrite_confs

What do these lines of code do?

I am at this step and have paused because I want the best version of MariaDB (not too old and not too new for April 19 2022)...

./build apache <---- I executed this code in the terminal... but now I'm not sure what to do, since I want MariaDB not MySQL....

I'm paused here to figure out if I really want mariadb or just want mysql for simple wordpress websites and longevity... i dont want to have to mess with the server configuration anymore for a while...

Please don't doublepost. We now get the same questions in 2 different topics. That works confusing.
Keep it in 1 thread. I answered in the other one.
You don't need to do all that build stuff, only if you want to change things. It already build everything.

Also this is not your topic.

Please stop answering all my posts. Go away from me. Or I'll block you on here. You told me in another discussion that you won't answer anything about mariadb, you also said you don't know... are you paid to moderate this forum?

And don't tell me where to post. I posted here because it seems like they knew more about mariadb than you did, because you already said "i dont know."

But it seems like the might have switched to cPanel since they haven't posted for over 3 years... and didn't reply to this. You literally respond to every single post I make on this forum... why?????

##########################################################################################################################

I'm having the same problem with DirectAdmin tech support ignoring my questions.
##########################################################################################################################

Notice how DirectAdmin support totally ignored my very first question "Can you refresh me on the different options for php?" and many of my other simple questions... this happens EVERY TIME I contact sales or support. I get nowhere, no answer, no solution, no progress and end up relying on the techs at the data center to make a guess, intead of DirectAdmin themselves... I only use DirectAdmin because I have a lot of domains and don't want to pay the per domain fee by cPanel.

Can you refresh me on the different options for php? How do I tell which option I have on my current old server? I will just use that option.

./build update
./build apache
./build php n
./build rewrite_confs

I'm at this step at the installation and I've executed these lines of code up through...

./build apache <-- executed that line

I want MariaDB, so how do I install MariaDB (I edit the config file and make 2 changes, I've read) not MySQL and which version for today so it's not too old and not too new? This is for hosting basic Wordpress sites for myself and mom and pop businesses...

Is there even a reason to use MariaDB if I'm not doing big databases or enterprise level things? Wouldn't it just be easier to stay "stock" with regular ol' MySQL? I like to keep my cars "stock" to avoid hassle when replacing parts. KISS

I executed all of these lines of code in the terminal.

What did they do? As far as I know they just displayed some options on the screen? Was I supposed to execute them all or just 1 of the 4 lines?

At what point do I do build all?

What does the d option after build all do?

Is there a guide that just tells someone what exactly to type if they just want a basic DirectAdmin server setup with all the defaults? If not I will make one after this. This has taken a week up to a month out of my life and it shouldn't take that long just because it's been 20 years since I last installed DA... I remember the last time I installed it, there weren't this many options.

3. Configure your server
Customize a skin - perform branding to make your server your own.

Select your WWW server.

Set up proper nameservers.

Use clients' assigned IPs for their domains to send from when sending mailopen in new window.

Enable backups for both the system and users.

Enable BubbleWrap jail for users (CentOS 7 required).

Consider using CloudLinuxopen in new window for better stability, security, and per-account resource management.

I'm paused at step 3 in the "Overview"... https://docs.directadmin.com/getting-started/first-steps/overview.html

I've made several forum posts, but nobody knows what these lines of code do, how to specify mariadb, etc... mostly just 1 person is responding to all of my posts... not a very active forum.

Can you just tell me what to do, exactly line by line in the terminal, for a the default/basic DirectAdmin installation that is good for hosting simple Wordpress websites for mom and pop and myself... I've decided I want apache as the web server... not sure which option for php, and I want either mysql or mariadb... I want which ever is the most default and basic and secure...

Hello,

> How do I tell which option I have on my current old
Run:
grep -i ^php /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf

Also you can refer to the documentation below:

> I want MariaDB, so how do I install MariaDB
./build set mariadb <the mariadb version you want>
./build set mysql_inst mariadb
./build mariadb

> Is there even a reason to use MariaDB if I'm not doing big databases
It's up to you which you prefer. I haven't previously heard of any reason why mysql would be better for smaller databases.

> What did they do?
You've set your php mode in options.conf. Until you build php by running:
./build php n (or instead of n choose a specific version)
nothing will happen.

> What does the d option after build all do?
./build <option> d : do the default action

> if they just want a basic DirectAdmin server setup with all the defaults?
Well, you have a basic version with all the preferred default settings upon installation. If I recall correctly, php also gets installed - just not multiple versions and not the fastcgi mode.

> I'm paused at step 3 in the "Overview"
Could you be a bit more specific? Are you stuck at configuring nameservers or..? By default you already have the most suitable global limits and you should already have a proper hostname set (if not you can set it via the panel or by using the CLI). Everything else you would modify based on your server's needs.

All in all, you'll need to read up on our and mysql's/mariadb's documentation if you want to decide what's best in your case. Most users I've seen running wordpress websites had either mod-php or php-fpm set.

You didn't actually answer all of my questions, including some important ones, and it didn't seem like you understood what I asked, based on your answers.

______________start question_________________________

I executed all of these lines of code in the terminal.

____________end question____________________________

You didn't actually answer this fully, you said I set my options... but didn't say WHICH OPTIONS?

What did they do? As far as I know they just displayed some options on the screen?

You didn't answer this one, the most important question:

Was I supposed to execute them all or just 1 of the 4 lines?

What's the difference between these options?

I want php-fpm and apache.

You said:

Could you be a bit more specific? Are you stuck at configuring nameservers or..?

Why would you say that? Did I say I was having trouble with nameservers? Paused at step 3 means I've stopped BEFORE trying step 3. It's clear you don't understand English well enough to do complicated tech support for English speaking people.

I asked this:

Can you just tell me what to do, exactly line by line in the terminal, for a the default/basic DirectAdmin installation that is good for hosting simple Wordpress websites for mom and pop and myself... I've decided I want apache as the web server... not sure which option for php, and I want either mysql or mariadb... I want which ever is the most default and basic and secure...

This means tell me which is the most basic, default, and secure DirectAdmin configuration and what exactly to type into the terminal. You didn't answer the question at all.

I provided several forum posts for you to read so you could understand my problems and it doesn't seem like you read them and it doesn't seem like the forum is very useful since I had the same person answer all of my forum posts and he didn't actually know the answers to my questions. Can you tell me why I want to use mariadb over mysql? If mariadb is better then why don't you (DirectAdmin) include it as the basic configuration option by default? Why do you make me and other customers edit the configuration to get what is the best option? Which is the current most recommend and most used version of mariadb and mysql and php around the Internet, which is recommended by DirectAdmin?

I'm trying to follow the installation instructions listed on your website, but they are incomplete. I've asked [email protected] for clarification and guidance on how to follow the configuration instructions on these pages:

I told you I am at this step in the installation/configuration procedure.

"Select your WWW server."

Since I want apache I looked at that instruction and it says:

./build update
./build apache
./build php n
./build rewrite_confs

But it does not say if I execute all the commands or anything it just shows those lines of code.

What exactly in detail does each line here do? "Configures PHP" is not an answer that tells me anything. I know it configures php, but what does it configure php to do? Do I execute all 3 lines or just one? Which one is the line to get apache/php-fpm/mariadb and everything else default? Which is the line to get apache/php-fpm/mysql and everything else default? Do I ever type "./build all" ? Is there a step by step installation guide for DirectAdmin anywhere online that I can see? If there is no step by step guide can you tell me how to install it to get apache/php-fpm/mariadb and a different step by step guide to get apache/php-fpm/mysql?

What are the advantages of using mysql and disadvantages vs mariadb? What are the advantages and disadvantages of mariadb vs mysql? Godaddy uses mysql and smaller companies like namecheap.com and create.com use mariadb. 2 people on the forum said to use mariadb, but that's not enough to make a decision.

I need some help here achieving the goal of installing DirectAdmin, I do not need you to dance around and avoid answering my questions. This same issue happesn where DirectAdmin sales or support always dance around my questions and never answer them has been happening for years now since DirectAdmin forced the use of their eastern european outsourced tech support. It doesn't matter if I ask what time it is or are you having a good day, or how do I install DirectAdmin or is mysql or mariadb recommended for hosting basic mom and pop wordpress sites... I almost never get my questions answered... many times I just give up asking and ask the techs at my data center, but this time the CEO and techs at the darta center said that the DirectAdmin documentation is too hard to understand and they use cPanel because it's much easier. This is my 2nd time asking the same exact questions. Can you answer them please?

Remember: I want which ever is the most default and basic and secure...

So if you are comparing mod-php to php-fpm... if you read a little, which I just did, the consensus is that php-fpm is almost always used... I'm already using php-fpm on my current server that was setup years ago (by me.) So what's the difficulty here in helping me out and just answering my questions???

Please stop answering all my posts. Go away from me. Or I'll block you on here. You told me in another discussion that you won't answer anything about mariadb, you also said you don't know... are you paid to moderate this forum?
Man, get a life and don't keep asking me then and post the same question everywhere, that is not appriciated by people helping here and we are volunteers.
Also READ what it says. I never said I won't answer anything about mariadb, that was on a certain question and way of questionning.
However, Since you're this rude and complaining all the time about DA too, I won't answer you anymore.

I do not need you to dance around and avoid answering my questions.
Then you should act as an admin and install DA yourself to begin with.

This is my 2nd time asking the same exact questions. Can you answer them please?
And I answered them the first time. Which you didn't read. Anyway, goodbye for me.

Back