Switching from Cpanel to DirectAdmin at same server

jeancarioca

Dear all,

I was caught off guard when I saw my Cpanel license invoice this month.

My invoice has incresead from $30.95 USD (unlimited accounts) to $95.00 USD monthly (limited 350 accounts). It is 3x more expensive.

I have asked to my support team migrate all accounts from Cpanel to DirectAdmin, in order to save money.

The question is: I have a single server...Is it possible to go forward with the migration (Cpanel/DirectAdmin) in the same server?

What should I do?

I would advise to take another server.
There are for example a few pages (click) which can be found on how to do it, but it has risks. There is no howto from cPanel itself and most people advise just to reinstall the operating system without Cpanel.

So in your case I would really consider using another server. Or if possible maybe temporarily rent one, put DA on it, migrate, reinstall your original server with DA and transfer all accounts back.
You have the best results that way without risks of conflicting or left over pieces which might cause issues.

That's what I did.
Back up all accounts on the cp server
Restore everything in da
---------------------------------------------------
Or set up a temporary VPS and install da
cp---to--->temporary VPS(da) (Give you time to correct your inspection mistakes)
cp server rreinstall da
temporary VPS(da)----------------> old cp server (Once you install da, it's actually da to da)

Back up all accounts on the cp server
Restore everything in da
You forgot to mention how you removed cPanel from that server.

The second method as I also suggested is a lot safer.

Same server not possible, DA and CP both are different, however you should get temporary vps/server generate full cpanel backup and rsync to vps/server those backup, clean OS install on old server and DA and restore from backup

PS: Those backups are your only hope, if anyone one fail or corrupt you have no other option, so be careful :)

Thanks for the advice guys!

I've got a new server to start migrating Cpanel accounts to DirectAdmin control panel.

By the way, I would like to know if DirectAdmin has similar features of Cpanel?

Well not all of them, but a lot.
There are also some features missing, but ex-cPanel users are requesting them.
You can have a look at the Feedback & Feature Requests section and add your vote if/when needed.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I've got a new server to start migrating Cpanel accounts to DirectAdmin control panel.

By the way, I would like to know if DirectAdmin has similar features of Cpanel?

The only difference that you can note at first instance is that you need more CLI.
On the other hand it's a great and more fast panel.

Back