Can't connect to ssl! errors in logfile

Richard G

Verified User
I'm having loads of ssl errors on all servers in the Directadmin error.log file.

Showing all these lines:
Code:
2019:10:06-17:02:16: Can't connect to ssl!
2019:10:06-17:02:16: -> A failure in the SSL library occurred, usually a protocol error.
2019:10:06-17:02:16: -> error:00000001:lib(0):func(0):reason(1)

Websites with SSL seem to work fine, but this should not happen.

Using up2date directadmin with Enhanced skin.

Hello Alex.

Thank you. I did do a search before and found a couple of similar threads, but no solution to it. I thought a while ago there were not that many entry's.
I did miss the last post you pointed to though. So it can be ignored.

However, it would be nice if DA can fix it some how. It's better not having big error log files with errors which do not need to be in there.

Fix what? If you want DirectAdmin to be less verbose when writing error logs you'd need consider opening a ticket with DirectAdmin support and suggest it as a feature. Members of the community can not help you with it.

Fix what?
Fix the cause of the errors I thought.
I don't want DA to be less verbose, but those are error logs correct? So they are errors. I thought errors needed fixing especially since this is not the first thead about it.

By the way, I already put in a ticket yesterday because I did not know what it was or if it could harm.
If it reallyl can be safely ignored oke, but if the cause of errors can be fixed so errors do not appear anymore it's even better.

Well.... The cause of the errors is a browser and directadmin. You might find time and read the article https://www.ssl.com/article/ssl-tls-handshake-overview/

If a browser tries to connect to DirectAdmin using TLSv1.1 you will see the error in logs, if a browser tries a chipper, DirectAdmin does not support, you will see the error again.

It's absolutely normal to see those errors in logs, unless you fail to connect to DirectAdmin.

What Is an SSL/TLS Handshake?

Every SSL/TLS connection begins with a “handshake” – the negotiation between two parties that nails down the details of how they’ll proceed. The handshake determines what cipher suite will be used to encrypt their communications, verifies the server, and establishes that a secure connection is in place before beginning the actual transfer of data. This all happens in the background, thankfully – every time you direct your browser to a secure site a complex interaction takes place to make sure that your data is safe.

It's absolutely normal to see those errors in logs, unless you fail to connect to DirectAdmin.
Ah oke I didn't know that. I'm always feeling suspicous when seeing errors in logfiles.

Thank you for the explanation and links Alex!

Back