Mariadb - Disabling Strict Mode

Add this to /etc/my.cnf and then restart MariaDB:

Code:
sql_mode="ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"

Any tips on that ditto? Because I disabled strict mode just by adding:
Code:
sql_mode=
to my.cnf and that works too. Any benefits on the lines you still have in there?

When you only add sql_mode=, then you disable all that was previous present in sql_mode=, not only strict mode. If you remove sql_mode= and restart mysld, then you can for example look in phpMyAdmin on the tab "Variables" and look up "sql mode" then you will see a comma separated list of modes. You do not need to disable all to disable strict mode, so what I have done is only remove the ones related to strict mode. Please see: https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/sql-mode/#strict-mode

A mode where at least one of STRICT_TRANS_TABLES or STRICT_ALL_TABLES is enabled is called strict mode.

I do not remember what the defaults of sql_mode was before I changed it, as it is a long time ago, but I only removed the ones relateted to strict mode. You might reverse it by removing sql_mode from my.cnf, so that you can see what the default is, and then only remove STRICT_TRANS_TABLES and/or STRICT_ALL_TABLES by removing them from sql_mode= but keep the rest of them that is not related to strict mode.

Last edited:
I had sql_mode= with mysql 5.7 so it was already in there too. Just wondering if there were any benefits to it.
Just for curiousity reasons I had a look at the Mysql references, and it looks you don't need those entry's anymore.
It shows this on Mysql 5.7, so probably also for MariaDB:
ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO is deprecated. ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO is not part of strict mode, but should be used in conjunction with strict mode and is enabled by default.
Because ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO is deprecated, it will be removed in a future MySQL release as a separate mode name and its effect included in the effects of strict SQL mode.

Since I found, this I also had a look at the second setting shows the same:
NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER -> Deprecated and will be removed

NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER is the only one which will keep existing in Mysql.

So I'm curious as to why MariaDB is defaulting to settings which are deprecated in Mysql.

Back