all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts on local server

Richard G

Verified User
We have a customer which had his site with us.
A couple of years ago he moved his site to another host but wanted to keep the mail with us.
We had to change the nameservers at the registrar to the nameservers of this other host because of the use of some website builder on their subdomain.

Now this worked good for several years, but since a short while we get their mail back with this notice:

all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts

Which is odd, because from another server:
Code:
dig +short mx userdomain.nl
10 mail.userdomain.nl.

An nslookup to mail.userdomain.nl also gives the correct ip address.

When I try to send mail from another ISP or another server, there are no issues.

So it looks like the problem only occurs on mails send from the server where the domain is residing.

Nameservers are pointing to my own nameservers. Do they need to point locally to the other hosters nameservers too?
We did not do this before so it's odd this problem suddenly occurs.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Hmmz... seems fixed now by changing the local nameservers to the remote nameservers.

But seems to work now.

To me it looks like the problem would be solved by unselecting "Local mailserver" on the MX records page.

Why should you think so? Since the mailserver -is- running locally? Seems to me unselecting the "local mailserver" rather would cause issues then solve them.
As far as I know you only unselect this if the mailserver is running remotely. But that is not the case here.

However, seems I found the correct solution. Also some issues I encountered with DNS checks for this are dissapeared now too.
Still it's a bit odd that I had to change the local nameservers, can't remember doing that before on this domain. But my memory is also not always as good as it was. ;)

Ah, ok, I see. So the domain has external DNS but they added your MX record to the DNS so that the domains mail is run locally on your server. Well, then I would not think so.

Yep correct, that's the way it's configured.
Normally you see more often that a mail is hosted locally and mail external. But in this case the customer made use of some website builder thing. He wanted to put that on our server, but that was not possible. They only hosted it locally and it gave issues when pointing the domain to there (they changed ip's a couple of times) so we put nameservers there and point mx to us. :)

Back