Turning Spamblocker on in exim.conf

louie55

Verified User
Just to clarify after reading previous threads. To turn the Spamblocker feature on in the exim.conf file, the only action I have to take is to copy the contents of /etc/virtual/domains into /etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains? And that's it? Or is there something else I have to do? Because I have a customer complaining about getting too much spam and spamassassin is running but not catching them. Thanks.

Louie

Hi Loui55,

I had the same question and what I learned from Jeff (jlasman), and I quote:

All you have to do to use these blocklists (all are available at no charge) is copy (not cut and copy) the domain names that you want to use the blocklists for, when receiving their email, from /etc/virtual/domains to /etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains.

And that's it. If you restart exim and check your eximlog then there are messages like:

2005-01-26 18:51:06 H=24-205-172-162.wc-eres.charterpipeline.net [24.205.172.162] F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: to unblock 24-205-172-162.wc-eres.charterpipeline.net see http://www.example.com

And to Turn on the Spam Assassin.......take a look here:

http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=36

Good luck!

Dennis

Last edited:
If people are really seeing "example.com" in their logs, that means if you're blocking real email the sender has no way to contact you to unblock her/him.

I strongly suggest you read the notes at the top of exim.conf and creae your own SpamBlock page.

Also... you do NOT have to restart exim when adding lines to any of the SpamBlocker files.

Jeff

From exim.conf:
Code:
# 3) Add a file /etc/virtual/whitelist_from                          #
#    This file should contain the fully-qualified hostnames or IP#s  #
#    of servers that you DO want to be able to get email from even   #
#    if they're otherwise caught by blocklists.  Your own domain     #
#    need not be listed here to enable you to get unblock requests,  #
#    whitelisting of email to your "errors" address will be handled  #
#    separately, below.                                              #
Jeff

Back