Moving user accounts from admin/reseller to reseller/reseller

Orbserver

Verified User
I'm wishing I had done things differently. I have domain user accounts that were created in an admin account, this account being the only reseller. I need to create a reseller for housing admin's users. In addition to re-assigning admin IPs to a reseller account, I would like to move users away from admin and into the reseller account. Can this be done safely without taking any sites down (aside from NS resolve time)? I believe I have a handle on the NS part of a switch like this.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Orbserver said:
I'm wishing I had done things differently. I have domain user accounts that were created in an admin account, this account being the only reseller. I need to create a reseller for housing admin's users. In addition to re-assigning admin IPs to a reseller account, I would like to move users away from admin and into the reseller account. Can this be done safely without taking any sites down (aside from NS resolve time)? I believe I have a handle on the NS part of a switch like this.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Its not easy... But here goes:

First, with your admin create your reseller you want to assign the users to. Make sure you give the reseller the correct ips. Then, make sure all the users you are changing to this reseller are using an IP that is assigned to this reseller.

Next, ssh into the box. Login and su to root. First edit admin's users.list file so they are no longer assigned to him. This file is: /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/users.list and /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/admin/users.list

Now, edit the new resellers user.list to include these people. This file should be /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/RESELLER/users.list

If your moving all users from admin to RESELLER, simply copy the users.list from the admin to the reseller directory. Then delete the admin's users.list and do "touch users.list".

This should do the trick. (I just did this.)

This should do the trick. (I just did this.)
Comforting to know it worked for you, I'll give it a whirl next opportunity. My admin account was setup in a way that avoids its own user, which works for server-wide NS setup but introduced obstacles for other things. I figure a reseller acount works around it.

Thanks for your thorough answer.

Back