404 Not Found error was encountered

Brian S

Verified User
My client is trying to make custom error pages for his domain, but after he creates the error pages and goes to his domain, he gets:

The requested URL /cvcxcvbxcvb was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.something.com Port 80

His custom pages are setup correctly. As well, I've noticed this getting a 404 on any domain on the server. Any clues?

Thanks,

Brian

You setup the error pages through DirectAdmin?
Look through apache's logs and see why it says it's not working.

Okay, producing a 404 returns the correct custom file, but when I deny myself access to the site, I get the forbidden error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /dfgdfhfgh on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The file is there, and error log isn't saying anything's wrong:
Mon Jul 25 10:12:43 2005] [error] [client 24.149.49.27] client denied by server configuration: /home/user/domains/doimain.com/public_html/403.shtml

Any clues?

Thanks,

Brian

Oh yes it saying something's wrong:
Mon Jul 25 10:12:43 2005] [error] [client 24.149.49.27] client denied by server configuration: /home/user/domains/doimain.com/public_html/403.shtml
We just haven't figured out what yet. Is it really saying "doimain.com"? If so, then the problem's there, because you probably don't have a domain named "doimain.com".

Otherwise make sure the correct path to the custom error messages can be found in:

/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

and that the file exists in that path, and that the ownership and permissions are all right.

Jeff

I think I found the problem. Sinces 403.shtml is in the same root directory that's blocked, it won't allow access to that file. Now I'm trying to user FilesMatch to exclude denying the IP if 403.shtml is the requested file.

Thanks,

Brian

Back