EASY HOWTO MAILSCANNER/Clamav/RazorDCC/ and more..

sohaib

Verified User
Hello guys,

I am running a Centos 4.1 with DA.

I've just found a very good software called OPENPROTECT which will install mailScanner/CLAMAV/Spamassassin (If you don’t have one)

It’s very very easy to install. I've installed last week and it’s working without any working.

Once you've download the software run

./openprotect-install and READ THE STEP BY STEP INSTALL INSTRUCTION and it will install necessary software to protect your server from SPAM and Viruses. Honestly I think I like this way much better than SPAMBLOCKER after installing this I am not getting any SPAM only LEGIT emails.

I personally don’t take any guarantee but it’s a very nice peace of software.

Download from
http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/openprotect/openprotect-5.0.3.tar.gz

Enjoy.

Can you tell us more about it? Or direct us to a page describing it?

Thanks.

Jeff

Your link to the site directs me to a page offering me a paid solution costing $649. The link to the download tar.gz file leads to a Not Found error.

The sourceforge page seems to rewrite directly to the www.openprotect.com homepage.

Is this or is it not an open source solution? Is it or is it not free?

Did you get the last free copy? :)

Inquiring minds want to know.

BTW, and fwiw, MailBlocker Pro (the commercial package I'm still working on) will work similarly, and will link into DA as a plugin.

And lest anython think I'm profiteering, the open source version, VirusBlocker/SpamBlocker, will come out first, and free as in beer, free as in speech.

:)

Jeff

I've talked with the openprotect people yesterday and they have mentioned that its not free if you get there support and get Kaspersky Antivirus.

If you just download there version which is standard with

Clamav
SpamAssassin
MailScanner

Its free, and I am using it fine with no problem.

Thanks

Perhaps...

But your post contains a link to a "Not Found" error:
[jlasman@of1 Downloads]$ wget http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/sou...ct-5.0.3.tar.gz
--15:40:53-- http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/sou...ct-5.0.3.tar.gz
=> `sou...ct-5.0.3.tar.gz'
Resolving voxel.dl.sourceforge.net... 69.9.164.2
Connecting to voxel.dl.sourceforge.net[69.9.164.2]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/...ownload&failedmirror=voxel.dl.sourceforge.net [following]
--15:40:53-- http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/...ownload&failedmirror=voxel.dl.sourceforge.net
=> `sou...ct-5.0.3.tar.gz?download&failedmirror=voxel.dl.sourceforge.net'
Resolving prdownloads.sourceforge.net... 66.35.250.217
Connecting to prdownloads.sourceforge.net[66.35.250.217]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
15:40:53 ERROR 404: Not Found.

[jlasman@of1 Downloads]$

sohaib said:
Why dont you visit openprotect.com and click on download and the download link will take you the appropiate DOWNLOAD page.
That page has two files on it; one is 6 MB, and one is 9 MB.

Which one?

Thanks.

Jeff

sohaib said:
Jeff? let me know when your mailblocker is set for release and also i would like to know your (SP) suggested price.
I'll post announcements on the advertising forum here when the software is ready for release.

Jeff

What did you specify for the exim queue directory? I am getting an error when I use the default "/var/spool/exim" it is looking for a "exim.in or .in" file, any ideas?

Here is the error i am getting...

<>--------START PASTE--------<>

Configuring MailScanner...
Enter the MTA you use[sendmail/postfix/exim/qmail]:exim

Configuring exim
Enter the path to exim conf file[/usr/exim/configure]:/etc

Creating incoming exim conf...cp: omitting directory `/etc'

Enter the path to exim binary[/usr/exim/bin/exim]:/usr/sbin

Enter the queue directory for exim[/var/spool/exim]:

Couldn't open file /etc.in at oplib/OpenProtect/Installer.pm line 392, <> line 12.

<>--------END PASTE--------<>

I installed this software on a clean server without many hitches... the only thing I had to do manually was install Net::DNS but then I restarted the install and all went well. It is checking all mails for spam, running it through MailScanner (so it gets spam checked with spamassassin and virus scanned with ClamAV) and tagged properly.

Also make sure to stop/killall exim and then restart the "openprotect" service as this will restart exim and mailscanner.

cwallace said:

Couldn't open file /etc.in at oplib/OpenProtect/Installer.pm line 392, <> line 12.

<>--------END PASTE--------<>

I bet you miss typed the path to the init.d scripts for exim. It should be "/etc/init.d/exim" for CentOS installs; maybe you typed "/etc.in" by accident for this one.

Did either of you guys get this loaded without error? I am still getting the same error myself

I just wanted to add that this package worked great for about a week. Then one night without any configuration changes, it started rejecting all messages. Spent a considerable time trying to track it down - finally narrowed it down to some sort of Exim configuration error but could not find the source - ended up disabling it and uninstalling it which fixed the issue. I now use a plain spamassassin configuration.

If it works, it is really great - but considering how important email is these days and how it should *never* be rejected like that I could not use this on my servers. Maybe after they iron out some of these bugs I would consider using it again.

Sorry for dumb question, but I've got confused with that price. If I just download openprotect-5.0.4.tar.gz and install it on my DA box - will I have to pay anything and will it work (as antivirus)? I don't want to use Kaspersky.

Or is there any good and simlpe antivirus, that could be used with DA easily?

Back