100% Hard drive space used?

lnguyen

Verified User
Two of my resellers are getting emails that 100% of their space is used up. According to the stats, they are 2/3 full at most.

I've gone through looking at the /home directories for each user, and they seem correct. is there a linux command that reports teh size of alll the contents of a directory and it's sub-directories?

Is there anything else I should be checking?

Thanks

Their home directory is not the only place they will have files. Also look in:
/var/lib/mysql/ for database files
/var/spool/mail/ for domain owner mailbox
/var/spool/virtual/ for mailbox user files

You can use the repquota to report what the OS thinks is used.

lnguyen said:
I've gone through looking at the /home directories for each user, and they seem correct. is there a linux command that reports teh size of alll the contents of a directory and it's sub-directories?
du /path/to/directory

will give you a summary of the directory and all it's subdirectories, in bytes.

du -h /path/to/directory

will give it in Kbytes, Mbytes, or Gbytes, as appropriate.

du -sh /path/to/directory

will just give you the total of the directory and all it's subdirectories.

man du

will give you a lot of other ideas on how to use du.
Is there anything else I should be checking?
find / -user username

will give you a list of all the files on the server owned by user username.

(run it as root so it can see the contents of all the directories on the server)

Jeff

how exactly would I used repqouta?

using du, the users in question are well within their limits, including mail and database files.

anyone have any other suggestions?

repquota without arguments will give you a help screen telling you of all the options.
A 'man repquota' will give detailed explanation of what each option does. Using the option -a will give you what you need.

Jeff also gave some great advice on using the find command. There is a chance some software may have been installed that had the same UID of one of those users. That will certainly skew the disk usage for that user.

Right, I had checked all the files find came up with, and it's all within the users limits.

One note is, I do have a giant backup in the /home directory. Would this possibly cause any problems?

It would only cause a problem if it were owned by one of the users going over their limit. You may just want to wait for the quota check to happen again and see what is being reported.

repqouta shows that both users are w/in their limits as well. And DA still seems to be generating the email warnings.

Back