5.0 / 5.1 upgrade to 5.2

Xuru

Verified User
Well 5.0/5.1 have reaced their EOL and with the newest vulnerability with TCP it is necessary for everyone to upgrade any of those boxes to 5.2.x

So my question is, is there anything I need to change on DA to go up a version number?

Thanks
Jeremy

We have cvsup'ed about 5 boxes to 5.2.1-RELEASE

I have not seen any DA specific issues. We are having a few DA issues but I don't think it is specific to the upgrade.

btw: 5.2.1 is very stable and we have not seen nearly as many bugs as we had during 5.2-RC's.

btw: I can't remember if this worked during the last point release but don't use RELENG_5_2_1 just 5_2. Just a fyi if anyone tries cvsup and it does not work...

OFFTOPIC: If you want to run 5.2 with no test code in it compile the kernel with these lines commentend out you will notice the speed increase:

# Debugging for use in -current
#options DDB #Enable the kernel debugger
#options INVARIANTS #Enable calls of extra sanity checking
#options INVARIANT_SUPPORT #Extra sanity checks of internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
#options WITNESS #Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
#options WITNESS_SKIPSPIN #Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed

Btw, for the admins, can we rename this forum thread from FreeBSD 5.0 / 5.1 to just FreeBSD 5.x please?

Last edited:
I have been thinking that for weeks because 5.2 EOL's pretty soon also if I remember correctly. Like the end of summer or something since 5.3-STABLE should released.

Everything on the DA side seemed to go smooth.

The FBSD side was fine to but my god, when I did the "mergmaster -i" it seemed like every single file on the server needed to be replaced :)

I just left them default for when I had more time to redo the mergemaster and go through them all line by line.

I "accidently" compiled it on a 200Mhz box 128Mb of RAM. It took 7 hours to compile buildworld and about 5 to do buildkernel. :D

I have a couple machines at 5.1 and 5.2. I think I am just going to keep the fingers crossed until 5.3 RELEASE and update everything then. Probably not the smartest thing, but oh well.

5.1 seemed pretty stable and before 5.2.1-RC1 I would not even touch it. Everytime we installed it on a test machine it was a host of issues. Most of it was attributed to the ATA and SATA support.

I think most of us will tell you that 5.2.1 is not that bad.

Back