Account Migration

Dougy

Verified User
Pardon me if this is the wrong place..

I see the Admin Backup/Transfer tool - but is that all? I want a tool that will do that backup, copy it to the new server of my choice (either via IP entry with login credentials... or via one of the 'multi servers')..

Does that exist?

What you see is what you get. You can automatically ftp the backup to another server, but you'll have to restore it there yourself.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'multi servers'; the Direct Admin Multi-Server option is strictly for managing DNS zone files.

Jeff

I would like to see DA automate the restore as well, not just the copy.

And I know - i was thinking maybe at some point the move/restore etc could be built into multi server.

I've moved the thread; it's now a Feature Request.

I really don't expect it to happen; there are too many reasons why it might not work and too many choices of how you'd want it to work.

Comments, anyone?

Jeff

I've moved the thread; it's now a Feature Request.

I really don't expect it to happen; there are too many reasons why it might not work and too many choices of how you'd want it to work.

Comments, anyone?

Jeff

cPanel does it flawlessly - why can't DA? DA is far superior.

And cPanel can pull from practically every control panel under the sun too - and convert it successfully.

Just to add.. it would make clustering easy.. very simple if you spread the dns out and it automatically updates it... can just shift people spot to spot in no time.

cPanel does it flawlessly - why can't DA? DA is far superior.
Does CPanel also allow a manual restore? How does it handle issues such as changing a username and/or IP#? And is it really that hard to log on to the new server and click on restore?
And cPanel can pull from practically every control panel under the sun too - and convert it successfully.
Conversion is a whole other story, and requires a lot of work and expertise.

Perhaps we should buy on cPanel server, and offer a commercial conversion service, converting first to cPanel, and then from cPanel to DirectAdmin :).

Jeff

Does CPanel also allow a manual restore? How does it handle issues such as changing a username and/or IP#?

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/WHMDocs/ChangeSiteIP is one example, there is also 'Change a site's IP address' feature that does everything also - dns, web, etc.

Conversion is a whole other story, and requires a lot of work and expertise.

Perhaps we should buy on cPanel server, and offer a commercial conversion service, converting first to cPanel, and then from cPanel to DirectAdmin :).

Jeff

Hehe.

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/WHMDocs/ChangeSiteIP is one example, there is also 'Change a site's IP address' feature that does everything also - dns, web, etc.

But what does have to do with your original request? I do not see how ANY control panel can do this automatically because decisions have to be made that only a person can make at the time of restore. These decisions will vary from person to person and server to server.

DirectAdmin can change a sites ip address as well. But this has nothing to do with migrating to another server.

Back