Add for 1.17

Twintone

Verified User
Anyway the "username" field can be lengthened? I would really like to be able to add users with longer usernames.. this seems like a very easy fix to me.. ;)

Thanks

Hello,

The main reason we capped it at 8 is because mysql databases have a max length of 16. If you created a username of length, lets say 12, you'd use up one more for the underscore '_' and that would only leave you with 3 letters to name a database !! :eek: ... so, we need a happy medium where databases can still be named something of reasonable length :)

How's 10 characters?.. would only leave 5 letters for database names, but would let you be a bit more flexible for user naming.

John

10 should be ok.. we have had a few customers here and there go over 8.. it just makes it easier if we can use the same username in DA as the one they signup with.. because our billing system gives them a login to the billing system, and its nice to offer them the same ID on both systems.. make sense? :)

Its not the end of the world, it would just be nice for us.. thanks for the offer.. and if you could go to 10, I think we would be good..

Do the mysql db names have to be named with the username? Why is this done?

This is because everyone uses the same database program, so they might be fighting for the same name. It also makes the book keeping far easier as we know who's database is who's.

John

So it has to be named this way? Can't you just keep who owns it in the DA database?

Reason I ask is because this not only limits the usernames, but also the database names and would make the database names pretty lame and unconvertible when moving from a different server like I am trying to do. I am running into the problem of the username field too short and now that I know that the database names are different, i'm going to have to go into all of the applications and change their database names. Which == lame.

Last edited:
This was a design deision, so it will probably stay the same.

A good coding practice is to use variables, or at least constants, for your database/table names so that they can be easily changed.

John

If only they were all my apps.... I'll probably have to wait to deploy now so that customers can change their own code. Don't want to be messing with that.

If i create the databases outside DA, could I link them up with the DA accounts after they are made? And in that case, is there any other way longer usernames could be used? Or lets say the user doesn't even need a mysql database (which I'm sure is pretty common for most accounts), could i change the username directly in the database to allow for longer ones?

Hello,

The only "link" used for DirectAdmin with databases is the database name. A query is made looking for all names the begin with username_, thus anything else won't show up.

You can create databases outside of DirectAdmin, and it won't affect anyting, but won't show up for the user.

John

Ok, good to know. thanks.

So could i change the usernames to longer names with no bad effects?

Yup. DirectAdmin doesn't care what else is in the database. It only cares about what it knows how to find, ie: only user_db.

John

Hmmm, any easy way to access the DA database? I went to the phpmyadmin and logged in as admin and it only showed test db.

Or does DA use mysql for storing it's info? I thought I read that somewhere?

DirectAdmin doesn't store any of its data in mysql. Also, the database names themselves are queried each time, to assemble a user's database list. All done realtime, no lists of databases stored anywhere.

I use phpMyAdmin for some stuff, but mainly I just use "mysql" itself from the command line to do work. I think I heard reference of programs that can be used on a local machine that connect to the server (Hence the access hosts feature).. although, I havn't used them myself, they seem like a good idea.

John

Ok, don't think were on teh same page here, the previous messages in this thread I was talking about changing the username to longer than what is allowed in the forms. Oh well, I guess i'll have to wait until DA 2. Hopefully it will get rid of the restrictions.

Yes, it kind of drifted to mysql names, but my last post was referring to the DirectAdmin username login, which is now 10 characters. :)

John

Back