Admin email not working?

Jing

Verified User
Hello.
My server hostname is sub.something.net, and I added something.net for the user account of "admin".

the problem I have here is, I can't seem to receive any mail by using [email protected], while all the other accounts under the same domain @something.net is working.

All the mails sent to [email protected] is bounced back with the following error.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
(ultimately generated from [email protected])
forced failure:

is there some conflicts between my the server hostname and the user domain?

anyway to fix it?

Thanks a lot.

Hello,

a few things to check:

1) make sure that "sub.something.net" actually resolves outside the server (you should be able to go their in your web browser)

2) check your catch all.. a forced failure is what happens when the catch-all is set to :fail: ... just something to check. If you have root, take a look at your /etc/virtual/something.net/aliases file to make sure the line "admin: admin" is there.

3) check out dnsreport.com . It has some very useful debugging tools.

John

1.) Yea. I have an account with the hostname, sub.something.net.

2) I check that file and these are the lines.

admin: admin
*: :fail:

Is it correct? I tried replacing the ":fail:" with admin, and it is still not working.

3) I tried using their mail tools for my [email protected]. And it returns a

[Successful connect: Got a good response [250 is syntactically correct]]

looks pretty okay for me?

Thanks again.

Then check the mail logs.. /var/log/exim/mainlog

if you know the message ID of the email, you can seach itq quickly using:

cat /var/log/exim/mainlog | grep ID | less

where ID is the is number.. it will return all the errors that the message has hit.

John

Back