Adobe Reader PDF files

Engebretsen

Hello!
My client has two .PDF files. I watched the file settings and they were created back in 2010. Now they don't open in the latest version of Adobe Reader. The file contains information from the text and pictures. I don't know how else to open these files. I tried again to open them with Foxit but it didn't work. does anyone have any experience in such matters? any instructions or programs that solve such problems?

There are a couple of things you can try.
One you already tried. The second thing is you can go to Adobe, to the Acrobat reader download page. Click on "Do you have a different language or operating system?", then choose your OS and language and version. As you can see, at that time you can choose version 11.0.10 for Windows which is a bit older version then DC if I'm not mistaken.
You can install that one and see if it opens with version 11.

However I'm very doubtfull that this will help, Adobe reader is backwards compatible, and so it's able to open documents even from 2010. I have pdf documents created even in 2008 which still open without any issues.

Can the client open the files himself? And if yes, with which program? Because I've got a very strong feeling that those files are either corrupted, or are in another format like for example .doc and somebody simply renamed them to .pdf or something like that.

P.s. this is Directadmin Control Panel support forum, so in fact you're not in the correct place to ask for this kind of help, but maybe my reply is of a bit of help to you.

the client said that he can't open the file. I also have a feeling that changed the file extension or something like that.

You could try to open it with something like Notepad++, see if you can see any directions to what kind of document type it could be.
Or change the extension to .doc yourself and see if you can open it in that case.
Or like I said, files are corrupted, then it's end of story.

A text editor (as Richard suggested) should show to you what kind of a file it is. The very first line usually contains information of a file format, example for pdf:

Code:
%PDF-1.4

The reason may be in failure on versions:

However, I have had success with the " PDF Recovery Toolbox " utility on one of my documents. But the second document came out as gibberish, but with the gibberish in the right places so I'm thinking corrupted embedded font for that one. But anyway you may try this tool. Go to this web site for more information how to do corrupted pdf file recovery. https://www.oemailrecovery.com/pdf_recovery.html

Hi, Thank you all for your time and great help. I really appreciate your feedback and I am very thankful for your time and support.

Back