after install no admin user created

B3rt

Verified User
I installed DirectAdmin on a openvz server with a centos 5.4 x64 image.

The installation went without any error, after installation I updated as listed the eth0 value in the DA conf file, rebooted the server to be 100% sure.

When I go to http://ip.address.server:2222 I get a login screen, when I try to login whit the pass listed in teh setup.txt I get a login error.
When I take a look in /home there is **no** admin folder!

When I try to reset the admin password as root (ssh) I get:
[root@srv1a ~]# passwd admin
passwd: Unknown user name 'admin'.

When I cat the /etc/passwd file there is also NO admin user listed!

When I try to add the admin user manually I get:
[root@srv1a ~]# adduser admin
adduser: group admin exists - if you want to add this user to that group, use -g.

In the install.log of direct admin is no error listed, the system.log even states: 2010:03:02-00:32:01: Admin admin is being created by root.

What is wrong here and most importantly how can I fix this?
I cannot login into DA at all at the moment.

try to edit this file:
/usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf

and look for:

check_referer=0

if is it set at 1 set it to 0, if there is no this line add save file and restart directadmin

That should fix your problem

I do not see why editing that config file is related to my problem.

As I explained, there is **NO** admin user (and files) at all on the server, when I change the config the admin user will not be created, so how can this fix my problem?

To be safe you need to reinstall DA. If it missed setting up admin who knows what other problems you will have.

Hi,

I am facing the same issue on exactly the same setup, any clue how to fix?

Regards,
Nasir

Hi,

Thanks for the quick update, I will be doing that.

regards,
Nasir

Hi,

I am facing the same issue on exactly the same setup, any clue how to fix?

Regards,
Nasir

Read the entire thread. Two times prior to your post it was said to reinstall DA.

hi.
just remove the admin user .
Code:
userdel -r admin
then.
type on root user
Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin i

The problem has already been fixed by reinstalling DA

hi.
just remove the admin user .
Code:
userdel -r admin
then.
type on root user
Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin i

You cannot remove something that is not there. And a reinstall is the best thing to do because probably other things went wrong too.

We have similar problem on same enviroment, openvz, centos 5.4, reinstall did NOT fix the issue for us. All we have on install log is FAILED INSTALL with no clues. Also rebuid centos template just to be sure, but problems seems to rely on DA. We also have problems updating old DA templates too.

Hello,

The command to try again is:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin
./directadmin i
./directadmin p
if you get errors regarding bad values, like hostname or IP, edit:
/usr/local/directadmin/scripts/setup.txt

and make sure the values are correct/valid, without spaces that don't belong, and try the last install step again.

Let us know what the "./directadmin i" gives you, if it's generating something else.

John

Thanks John, it works. At least in OpenVZ enviorments the hostname need to be valid always.

Thanks John, it works. At least in OpenVZ enviorments the hostname need to be valid always.

I have never had a problem with invalid hostnames on OpenVZ. I use invalid hostnames all the time temporarily just to get started.

Back