Any idea how to Limit out going emails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowledgebase is there for a reason.
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=81

Gee another smart ass reply on a DA forum, who would guess.

I am well aware of the Knowledgebase, also aware of the optional modifications in the exim.conf which do not seems to work, as the link below shows..

# SET SOME MEANINGFUL LIMITS
# OPTIONAL MODIFICATIONS:
# These defaults work for us; you may wish to modify them
# for your environment

message_size_limit = 20M
smtp_receive_timeout = 5m
smtp_accept_max = 100
message_body_visible = 3000
print_topbitchars = true
deliver_queue_load_max = 5
smtp_connect_backlog = 50
split_spool_directory = yes

http://www.vancouverwebhosting.com/pp/goldmantextilesltd.txt

I pretty much tried everything, accept adding the SMTP Limiter plugin that seems to be giving so many trouble.

Last edited:
I guess you didn't read and apply the knowledgebase article.

Did you modify the /etc/virtual/limit file?

Last edited:
Gee another smart ass reply on a DA forum, who would guess.

Well I could have said "Gee another dumb ass question that has already been answered here a thousand times" but I didn't.

And what does the /etc/virtual/usage directory say?

It cannot say nothing unless the permissions on it are wrong. It will at least have the *.bytes files.

This limits incoming connections.
http://www.fastmirrors.org/exim/exim-html-3.00/doc/html/spec_11.html#SEC325

Yeah, I am going to have revisit this when I wake up.

The fella signed up for a new account, then tries to send out 10,000 phishing emails.

He had some program that sent them to the server in bundles. The link above was one of those bundles, there was 100 of them.

Was able to freeze and delete most, and cancel his account.

Just pisses me off, the spammers. :mad:

g night (er morning)

...and thx

I don't want to piss you off even more but if you do follow the article from the knowledgebase, it works like a charm :
To enable this limit, simply add the number of emails you'd likely to allow per day to the /etc/virtual/limit file.

So create the simple file, put "100" into it and you will be fine :)

I don't want to piss you off even more but if you do follow the article from the knowledgebase, it works like a charm :

So create the simple file, put "100" into it and you will be fine :)

...and SMTP outgoing email size is max 20MB show below?

Yeah looked at the file, it would have worked the first time I edited if when I exited from the vi I did :wq and not :q! :eek:

message_size_limit = 20M
smtp_receive_timeout = 5m
smtp_accept_max = 100
message_body_visible = 3000
print_topbitchars = true
deliver_queue_load_max = 5
smtp_connect_backlog = 50
split_spool_directory = yes

I don't see any harm in what MaxPower is asking. It was assumed in the rude response by Floyd that he hadn't looked at the KB. Why assume? Why not ask him if he has looked there - without adding a snide remark.

Would you talk to your clients that way? (rhetorical question - and I don't want to know the answer)

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Since this is not a pay for support forum we do expect people to do some research themselves before asking questions here. This question has been asked and answered many times. Maybe it was wrong to assume. But the odds were in favor of simple research not being done in this case since the answer is easily found in the knowledgebase and in the forum many times. It is very frustrating to answer the same questions over and over again. MaxPower I am sorry for being rude to you.

What we expect of people before they ask a question here:
1. Search the knowledgebase
2. Search the versions system.
3. Search the forum
4. Use Google to search the entire DirectAdmin site which is often better than the regular forum search.

As it turns out MaxPower did not actually save the limit file.

ranz you are not the forum police. If you want to do nothing but argue with me about how I answer questions then let's take it outside and leave the public forum for the actual questions and answers. The question has already been asked and answered. Problem solved. Your post served no purpose for this thread.

Ranz and Floyd.

1. thank you for your answer Floyd, it was appreciated and made me look at the file again and see the problem.

2. Ranz, thank you for the defense, however I think you can see the my above post, I was quick enough to call Floyd on his reply. Don't need to make any more of an issue than it was at the time..

There is an old saying, ""Never assume, for it makes an ASS out of U and ME." :D

Generally if you google the problem - "smtp limiter" directadmin - You will find all you need on this issue.

I thought I had implement this smtp limiter before, and it didn't work. Frustrated, tired and pissed at a customer who abused his account, I was not think straight myself.

I always search the DA knowledge base and forums, both are great sources of information.

I am very happy with DirectAdmin, just ordered another server from www.abmx.com and of course will be buying another DirectAdmin license within a week or two.

There is great "FREE" support and lots of knowledgeable people who are willing to give their time.

DirectAdmin Rules!!!! :D Five Star in my Book.

Last edited:
There is an old saying, ""Never assume, for it makes an ASS out of U and ME." :D

I agree!

Although I tend leave the "ME" part out ;)

@floyd

I see it the other way - quite often you are picking on my posts (and others) - I just think it's plain rude. I don't think I'm the forum police and don't want to be - However, I certainly don't let direct snide comments against me unchecked. Just because you've been here for 5 years - doesn't give you extra special rights.

If you are finding it:

... very frustrating to answer the same questions over and over again.

Then perhaps take some time-out. A fact of life is that there are always going to be newbees here.

A good IT administrator needs to have patience. Take your frustrations out elsewhere.

What we expect of people before they ask a question here:
1. Search the knowledgebase
2. Search the versions system.
3. Search the forum
4. Use Google to search the entire DirectAdmin site which is often better than the regular forum search.

So do I - but there's a nice way to remind them.

As it turns out MaxPower did not actually save the limit file.

Excellent! Your instincts treat you well - but don't you think you could have arrived at this result in a much less calmer way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back