Any reasons NOT to install MySQL 5.1.X?

Vibe

Verified User
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of building a new DA server and am contemplating moving to MySQL 5.1.X. Currently I have Apache 2.2.16 + PHP 5.2.14 + MySQL 5.0.91 installed and everything is running very well. However, there are no clients on this machine yet so I am thinking about upgrading MySQL to 5.1.X to prevent any potential upgrade issues in the future (MySQL 5.0.X is on "extended" support). I also plan on installing Installatron for clients to easily install applications in their accounts.

I have read pros/cons regarding 5.1.X - but not a lot with regard to shared hosting environments (e.g. performance and/or security gains/losses).

With this in mind are there valid reasons for NOT upgrading to MySQL 5.1.X at this time? Are most members of the forum still working with 5.0.X?

Thank you for any suggestions/insight you can provide!

hmmm...maybe I should re-word this :).

Has anyone providing MySQL 5.1 to clients experienced any specific issues? Are there any "gotchas" to look out for?

Thank you Arieh for your comment - I appreciate it!

Since I am working with a new server, I would rather jump to 5.1 now vs. upgrade later when the server is full of customers.

5.1 has been running flawlessly for me and on servers I manage.

It is highly recommend running that instead of 5.0

Hi propcgamer - thanks so much for the reply. I got a bit sidetracked and have not had the opportunity to upgrade yet...but am planning on doing so.

One thing that I am a bit leery of is some of the benchmarks I've seen (5.0 vs 5.1). However, considering that this is a shared server - I'm not too worried.

Back