anybody use Piratefish to filter spam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMMM

Verified User
We have some domains that must be on some kind of spam list getting drilled with emails. I have been looking into a dedicated machine/appliance so that I can direct the "spam" email there first and then "good" email back to the DA box.

Has anybody have a recommendation that they are currently using comfortably other then the barracuda appliance solution? The barracuda solution seems a little overpriced for us at this time for what we need it for.

The one I have been looking at is this "Piratefish" located at piratefish.org, it seems to have some good features.

Let me know.
Thank you

Looking at their site, I find this:
The Piratefish guide will walk you through the installation of Linux on your Piratefish server, and will provide instructions on how to install a Postfix email server and integrate it with MailScanner, SpamAssassin w/Bayesian filtering & Clam Anti-Virus all running with a Webmin graphical user interface.
And I don't see that as even nearly as effective as what you an do with DirectAdmin and SpamBlocker3.

Jeff

Thank you for the tip Jeff.
What I was really looking for is to build a seperate box so that when some accounts get bombarded with email I can redirect the mail to run through it instead of putting a load on the DA box.
Just looking for some input on some future ideas.
I appreciate the input.
Thanks

Take another look at the Piratefish

Guys, in defense of my creation, I'll put this out there for you:

1) Over 100 paid buyers of the Piratefish are out there all over the world - England, Italy, Portugal, USA, Austrailia, Germany and Hong Kong.

2) A number of consultancies throughout the world have used the document to install anti-spam gateways in their customer sites. One even went as far as creating their own version using a different preffered distro.

3) I offer money-back guarantee's on the product - and nobody has requested their money back yet.

4) The Piratefish is not an "install and config" simplified gateway solution - it's a step-by-step guide to building the thing that helps the new users get acquainted with Linux. Folks wanting the easy way out buy Barracuda's or fork over the real money for Ironport's.

5) Adams Mark Hotel's uses it, and likes it.

Also, as an FYI, the latest version is now released - it's running on Ubuntu Server now, so it's got the latest versions of SpamAssassin & MailScanner behind it.

I'll admit, there's plenty of options out there to kill spam - but there's few that help folks learn to trust Linux while setting it up. And I'm fairly sure the Piratefish is the only gateway option for under $70.

JohnnyP, even though it's an advertisement for a product. And since it's a product that's not DirectAdmin specific, by forum rules, it's not supposed to be advertised here.

I get the impression you're defending yourself against my post... I suppose I can respond to your points, step by step... but I won't.

But I will respond to the next to last paragraph in full...

Personally I don't believe in SpamAssassin for two reasons:

1) it uses an awful lot of machine cycles to convert a piece of spam to a piece of spam. Only now instead of just looking at it as it comes in to your mailbox you have to make a special effort to look at it. And you do have to look at it, because otherwise you can miss false positives. In other words it increases the cost of spam to me in my time, in my machine cycles, and in having to buy more and more server power to run it.

2) Spammers know about it too. Almost all professional spammers run their spam through the latest versions of SpamAssassin first, and then tweak it and run it again, over again, until it passes.

Since our systems use Exim we don't need MailScanner; it's easy enough to have exim do what MailScanner does, and there's one less program to use resources.

I have nothing against anyone buying PirateFish. I think it needs to be clear that if you implement PirateFish you're going to need a second server, a second space in your data center, and you're going to have another system to have to administer.

I'm going to close this thread before it becomes an advertisement that needs to be deleted.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back