Anyine use 1&1 for domains

DamnSkippy

Verified User
Registerfly is driving me nuts and I do not like the Godaddy interface. In general I don't really like 1&1, but in all honesty I have never used anything from them. They just bug me for some reason :)

Their domain prices are cheap so I thought I would see if anyone here uses them for domain registration and what they thought about them.

never used them for domains, but a few friends of mine used them for hosting and they are insanely brutal both in uptime, server load and especially customer support.

however domains require little to no management so I can't see them screwing that up....but you never know. :)

You're right Vandall. You never know. We've been reselling Dotster so long we resell for less than their current dealer pricing ... but we don't like their interface.

The interface is the thing. I'd recommend check out one domain first.

For example, what I don't like about GoDaddy is having to click through so many offers to buy other junk with each domain. We actually charge our clients to manage their domains at GoDaddy. $12 or so per year.

Jeff

That is one of the reasons I don't like GoDaddy as well Jeff plus the interface just does not work for me.

I might give 1&1 a try for domains, I will let yall know what I think if I do.

That's the reason I only have 3 domains left at Godaddy..lol. Not only do you have to click thru so many "offers"...but to change anthing is a damn chore...

I use Enom for all my domains now.

GoDaddy does have good telephone support (though it's not a free call). We know; we have to call almost every time we need to do anything on a domain there.

We're currently working out a deal with a major registrar to offer their product line to resellers. There's still a lot of negotiation to do, and all I can say now is our interface will be full-featured, won't be as complex as GoDaddy's, won't have product adverts, will work with ModernBill, and you'll be able to have resellers as well, which of course is what we all want; right :) .

How good is telephone support at enom, sullise? We need it, and as many of you know, we offer it :) .

Jeff

We've been using enom (thru a reseller) for domain registrations for years and never had any problems that couldn't be resolved online, i.e., w/o phone support.

So, I honestly have no idea how good their phone support is :)

They have a pretty clean interface, an API yuo can use to integrate domain management into your site and decent prices if you find a good reseller :)

A serious downside with 1 and 1 is changing DNS - I find t regularily takes 48 hours just for the changes to show in the control and then another 48 hrs to propagate around the world.

Their .coms are pricey too (almost double what we pay)

Rob

They're very pricey ... in the UK. I can't believe £8.89/year in the UK; in the US they charge only us$5.99/year (which is less than they pay; they pay, as do all registrars, us$6.00 to Verisign (for .com) and us$0.25 fee to ICANN.

They're either ripping you off, or giving us some benefit to steal market share ...

Or both.

:confused:

Jeff

Wow, that is insane! No way I am going to put up with that.

matrixx said:
A serious downside with 1 and 1 is changing DNS - I find t regularily takes 48 hours just for the changes to show in the control and then another 48 hrs to propagate around the world.

Rob

Hi, I've been, up till recently, doing all my domains through godaddy, but I don't like the spam either...

I recently finsihed setting up a DirectI reseller account that I've had for quite a while, and have started using that, and am quite happy with the interface. For users it can be as simple or as intricate as you wish it to be. Here's an example:

http://registrar.ppf-networks.net

That's their basic domain registration interface with just dns, and email options available as addons... They have another full interface, that offers hosting and everything else under the sun, and gives the same annoying stuff as godaddy :)

N-E-Ways, I've not yet had to call support, so I don't know what it is like, but they have been doing QUITE alot of upgrades to their reseller site
www.resellerclub.com

Hope this information is usefull to someone :)

-Robert E. Plummer
PP&F NetWorks, LLC

Maybe http://www.transip.nl is something for you guys. I know it is dutch but very good.

Cheap prices (https://www.transip.nl/products/domain/?alltlds=1#domains)
Excellent application, fully automated
Total control
Mail fallback
Many extensions to register
Great API
Whois branding
Transfer branding
Use DNS
White label coming

The only thing you can't is changing the registrar @ WHOIS ;)

So you can register and change domains through controlpanel or using the API. Even the whois properties is changeable :) What do you want more?

jlasman
How good is telephone support at enom, sullise? We need it, and as many of you know, we offer it .
We've been using eNom for a year now. The two times I've had to call them they were very responsive and helped to resolve the issues very quickly.

We currently use eNom's API to register / transfer domains and to make changes to whois records on the fly. I have used their web interface on occasion and find it very easy to navigate.

Thanks. We currently have two enom accounts for various companies, but I personally do very little with them.

If we have an enom account through a reseller can we talk to enom, or do we have to talk to our reseller for support?

Jeff

If I'm not mistaken, you have to talk with your reseller first (as they are the responsible party). If they do not respond or help then you can contact eNom and they will contact the reseller to help you get any issue resolved.

Back