Apache 2

Not in the *near* future. In theory, it should be able to work with 2.0 as is... just have to install it yourself and set it up :)

John

Yes it might.. depends on what we are updating. I would not recommend even bothering to try to get 2.0 to work, as there will probably be many little things like that which may pop up.

John

Since we've been "experimenting" with DirectAdmin and I'm about to go live with my first DirectAdmin hosting/reseller server, I've been asking a lot of my friends and contacts in the hosting business about Apache 2.0.

Very few people are hosting with it, and I don't see any reason why those of us who use control panels should be the first.

I'd say let's leave well enough alone for the moment; most of us don't need the features in Apache 2.0.

Jeff

I agree, it's just i'm finding that most people that have RH 9 are using Apache 2. I'm mostly just trying to figure out how to get Tomcat integrated with Apache on this thing and it's not working so well.

Do you actually know of anyone hosting on RH9?

We stopped at RH7.3, as most hosting companies did...

RH8? We were waiting for a point release; we learned from sad experience with RH 7.0, not to trust a "zero" release?

RH9? RH9 made it clear there wasn't going to be a point release.

The lack of point releases and RH's new short version life (maximum one year) made it clear to us we can't afford to stay with RH Linux.

For us it's either going to be debian or FreeBSD, both of which have longer stable lifetimes.

I'd be very happy to work with John and Mark to create their own distribution of Linux based on Debian, but the problem is the same that RH has...

You can't afford to to security updates forever unless you're getting paid something.

In fact, look at the Red Hat kernel... though the development is very active, it's still not even at a 2.6 release level. but RH Linux? It's at 9 and moving forward.

Why? Simple... you've got to create numbered versions often if your income depends on it.

But once you've got a linux server doing what you wan't, you're much better off, imho anyway, sticking with it and only doing security updates.

Jeff

jlasman said:
Do you actually know of anyone hosting on RH9?

Our PSA6 servers are running RH9, and apache 2 :D i dont know what the big fuss is with RH9 :( our ensim servers still run 7.2 as ensim 3.1 does not support 7.3 and our DirectAdmin servers will more than likely be running RH 7.3 but i still dont see the problem with 9

Thanks for the good news concerning RHL 9 for hosting.

What I can't see ever doing is supporting so many operating systems at the same time.

I try to keep my life as simple :) .

Do you know what you'll be doing for security udates after the first of the year, when of all the RH systems, only RH9 will be supported for security updates?

Or what you'll do a year after that, when you'll need to be on RH 10 (presuming one exists) to get security updates from Red Hat?

Thanks.

Jeff

It seems most are going to stay on red hat 7.2/3, or red hat 9 if thats what they currently have.

As for redhat 7.* being unsupported at the end of the year, im sure it will be supported *somehow* by its advanced users. no idea how exactly that would work but im sure 7.* will be fine for quite some time, its the same with ensim 3.1, many people are sticking with it instead of upgrading to pro. That will also be unsupported at the end of the year and already we are stuck on a version and cant go anywhere else :(

we dont really have much of a choice unless we downgrade the plesk 6 server to RH 7.3 and then we would have major problems as all the software on plesk is configured to use 9, we would probably need a re image to red hat 7.3 then reinstall plesk and have to configure everything which seems alot when its on a (what appears to be) stable OS that will be supprted when the other RH's wont.

As for RH going to a v10 next year, I personally dont think they will do it, it appears they are unsupporting ALL other versions so they can work on v9, instaed of having to work with 3 different OS, Juts like rh 7.3 now, im sure 9 will be ok :)

Chris

I didn't mean to suggest you shouldn't run RHL9.

If it works for you, that's fine.

The concern I had was that we know what does and doesn't work, what is and isn't available, for Apache 1.3.x, and everyone I know refuses to replace it with Apache 2.

In fact DirectAdmin, when run on RHL9, still uses Apache 1.3.x.

Jeff

ProWebUK said:
As for RH going to a v10 next year, I personally dont think they will do it, it appears they are unsupporting ALL other versions so they can work on v9, instaed of having to work with 3 different OS, Juts like rh 7.3 now, im sure 9 will be ok :)

Guess what! i just heard 10 was going into BETA, and apparently the end of life for 9 is 04/31/04

ProWebUK said:
Guess what! i just heard 10 was going into BETA, and apparently the end of life for 9 is 04/31/04

Yup... There will no longer be any .x releases of RH.. They will be full version numbers with 1 year EOLs from now on.. So basicly they are expecting everyone to upgrade their OS every year :D

BTW: Debian here we come :D

The Prohacker said:
BTW: Debian here we come :D
Most of us in the business are limited to what our control panels will support.

Most control panels (the ones I look at, anyway) work with either Red Hat Linux or with FreeBSD.

While I'm hoping for someone to work on an easy-to-install, reasonably-configured, Debian distribution which we can use for DirectAdmin, Plesk, etc., I'm not holding my breath... and I don't have time to create one myself.

Therefore I'm seriously looking at FreeBSD.

Here's a question for Mark and John...

Which version of FreeBSD should I load now to get a head start :) ?

Jeff

jlasman said:
Which version of FreeBSD should I load now to get a head start :) ?

4.8 as I remember :D

And at one time I heard a rumor of possible Debian support some day after FreeBSD is released :D

Back