Backscatter caused by over quota condition

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
I'd like to see some discussion on eliminating possible backscatter caused by exim accepting email even when users are over-quota and can't accept mail.

Under this scenario, when the email has been on the queue too long it's returned to sender, which in the case of spam not caught by SpamBlocker ACLs, could result in email being returned to spoofed senders, causing colateral backscatter spam.

The most definitive discussion I've seen on the subject appears here. The subject is now open for discussion here.

Jeff

Wow, how ironic. I just came to search for backscatter fixes for the exact same issue that got a couple of my servers listed on backscatter.org and you posted this yesterday. I'm currently checking out your link, but I am also interested in this. Several customers are not checking their emails on their [email protected] account and the mailbox is full, thus finally causing backscatter to get sent back out all over the internet.

Is there any way returned messages can get sent back with just the error and the original subject without any of the message body (spam) getting sent back?

Last edited:
Wow, how ironic. I just came to search for backscatter fixes for the exact same issue that got a couple of my servers listed on backscatter.org and you posted this yesterday.
Perhaps I'm wrong but I believe the code I run (even later than the most recent RC) finally eliminates all backscatter except for overlimit backscatter.
Is there any way returned messages can get sent back with just the error and the original subject without any of the message body (spam) getting sent back?
Not that I know of, but I'm not sure it would keep you from getting reported.

Jeff

same issue here.

so as i understand, its really watching to not get quoatas exceeding?

no other way?

Maybe email could be suspended for that user if the user reaches their quota.

Back