[Backup] Moving to a new server

hackerpitbull

Verified User
Hi!

I'll move to a new server soon - right now I have about 55 Domains, is there a way to backup all the domains and restore them in the new server?

thx!

Do the backups as admin through DA and have them saved onto the new server instead of locally.

Do note that it appears you're going to have to recreate crons, some file and directory permissions, import any mysql databases manually and double check DNS. They'll be some rough spots and it may take a day or two but it'll work fine.

-dr(I just moved 108 domains and it generated 57 support tickets)mike

drmike said:
Do the backups as admin through DA and have them saved onto the new server instead of locally.

Do note that it appears you're going to have to recreate crons, some file and directory permissions, import any mysql databases manually and double check DNS. They'll be some rough spots and it may take a day or two but it'll work fine.

-dr(I just moved 108 domains and it generated 57 support tickets)mike
thx but isn't there a simple way? maybe backing up as a reseller and uploading the backups and restoring them?

If you're looking for a magic solution to this question, the bad news is there isn't one. Search this forum for many posts on the subject and a couple of different approaches but they're all pretty much the same idea as posted here by drmike. It's a long job and not for the feint hearted.

hackerpitbull said:
thx but isn't there a simple way? maybe backing up as a reseller and uploading the backups and restoring them?

Yes, that's the way to do it. Within the Reseller Level menu -> Manage user backups -> Do the backups and have them saved to the new server. It'll do one at a time.

When you get to the new server, you can then do the restore backup option.

And then double check file and directory permissions, DNS, importing the MySQL databases manually, etc., etc. :)

My move didn't go well. :(

-drmike

cprompt said:
If you're looking for a magic solution to this question, the bad news is there isn't one. Search this forum for many posts on the subject and a couple of different approaches but they're all pretty much the same idea as posted here by drmike. It's a long job and not for the feint hearted.

It's not a heavy job. It's just a matter of having to go back though and double checking everything after the move. Only major issue you will have is the sites with databases. For some reason, they don't want to import from a backup.

-drmike

That's the main reason I said "It's not for the feint hearted" :D
If you're moving from server to server, it's fine as long as you haven't got a deadline for handing the old box back. Imagine if you missed something and the original server has already been rebuilt!
Just be careful out there!

I have never had to spend more than a day on a server to server transfer that is running the same Operating system (or variant), although it might be because I used to do it without a controlpanel helping.

hackerpitbull, The following link provides DirectAdmin's server to server instructions:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=57

Actually I've wondered why I had so many issues with my transfer. Most of them boiled down to MySQL imports.

-drmike

drmike said:
Actually I've wondered why I had so many issues with my transfer. Most of them boiled down to MySQL imports.

-drmike

Used to be my problem to, however I found out it's faster to just copy the data files directly, chown/chmod them and be done with them, than attempt to go through MySQL itself using tools such as mysqldump.
And if both servers require the same permission settings, you can simply use your commands (cp, mv etc) in such a way that they preserve their settings.

Back