Backups FTP transfer failed

daveyw

Verified User
Hello,

We are using DirectAdmin for a long time, and sometimes we have a problem.

- Select the users to backup
- Fill in the FTP information
- Start backup
- Backup failed, due to invalid FTP login

After this, then we can start again from the beginning.

Should it be possible / better that if a FTP login is wrong, it will be moved to a temp directory in the admin/reseller account?
Maybe its possible to make it optional in the Administrator settings, because there needs to be a check or something if there is enough space left for it.

Then we don't need to start the whole backup again, only need to transfer the backups manually over FTP to the correct server.

Or maybe there can be a button added in the "Admin backup area" with 'Login check' (or something) that checks if the FTP login is ok.

Last edited:
This may be a bit more complex than you'd think at first glance; what happens if the backup fills a partition and causes a server problem?

Jeff

This may be a bit more complex than you'd think at first glance; what happens if the backup fills a partition and causes a server problem?

Jeff
I know, there must be a check if there is enough space left or just a simple button 'FTP Check' that checks the login information for FTP if its correct.

Hello,

With the ftp option, backups are deleted right after they're uploaded, so if there is a failure, the files are gone anyway.

DA sends you a message if there is an error. It would be up to the admin to take the required action from that point on.

Regarding the incorrect ftp login, what I usually do is test it first in the restore portion to see if you can get a directory listing. If that works, then create the backup.

Another option which could be added to the versions system (if you guys want) is to have a pre-backup check with the login/pass provided to ensure it works before trying it out. If the test upload fails, DA would tell you right away, saving you time.

John

Another option which could be added to the versions system (if you guys want) is to have a pre-backup check with the login/pass provided to ensure it works before trying it out. If the test upload fails, DA would tell you right away, saving you time.
I guess that would be a good feature.

If you need to to +100 accounts, and the upload fails due to FTP login you can start again from begin.

I was thinking of add below the ip/username/password a 'FTP check' button and that tries to make a connection with FTP, if okay it gives alert: "FTP connection ok", or otherwise "FTP connection failed".

I had a similar problem recently because in the admin reseller backup feature I used
Code:
/backup
as my directory instead of
Code:
backup

So, remember to not use the leading slash character. Even though when you see it as a saved backup it doesn't look right, it works right.

Maybe John could add a feature to strip the leading slash character.

One possibility would be to fail and send a message after the first user fails, instead of spending another hour (or more) backing up the rest of the users before sending a message.

Jeff

Back