Best OS for a VPS

Eureka

Verified User
Hi Guy's

What OS would you recommend for a...DA.. VPS Virtuozzo Server
256ram.

Centos, Debian, Fedora Core. etc...and which is the more user friendly and less of resources..

Thanks

I haven't messed with managing any virtual private servers yet, however I'm going to vote for the operating system that I currently use, Debian.

I'm going for the one your VPS vendor recommends, since they've got the most experience on their platform and know what they can best support.

Jeff

I know a company who successfully runs DirectAdmin on CentOS 3.4 VPS'.
Though he has cPanel running on RH9. This is a custom version however by SW-Soft (from what I know)

We run DirectAdmin VPSes on FreeVPS using CentOS 3.x, works very nicely.

Hi.

I've been looking at hese VPS things and woundering what sort of hardware you need to run them on and what sort of numbers you can get on them.

i.e. how meny VPS's can you get on say a Dell PowerEdge
Dual 3GHz
4GB RAM
5 x 73GB SCSI in RAID5.

You can probably "fit" 15 VPS's on that server if each VPS is 256MB RAM. Performance-wise it will suffer if all VPS's are running CPU intensive programs (about 400MHz CPU per VPS in theory, but probably 200MHz in practice due to overhead).

VPS is great if you have a private server to partition into individual project groups. It's also convenient to test new OS versions or programs on spare VPS's before deployment.

Last edited:
Back