Cannot open the user password

hostmetro

Verified User
Create POP3 mail account
Cannot open the user password file for reading

This is the error I am recieving in the gui for adding email accounts. This is the error log that relates to this problem after clicking the submit button in the create new email user.

2003:10:16-07:56:52: Socket write error: fd is connected to a pipe or socket whose reading end is closed. When this happens the writing process will also receive a SIG_PIPE signal. (Thus, the write return value is seen only if the program catches, blocks or ignores this signal.)

I am not sure what I need to do to correct this.

Hello,

The log enter you've pasted is probably just for the internet connection (like if a user presses "stop" or "esc").

Check the permissions on:

/etc/virtual/domain.com/passwd

brute force fix:
Code:
chown mail:mail /etc/virtual
chmod 755 /etc/virtual
chown mail:mail /etc/virtual/domain.com
chmod 711 /etc/virtual/domain.com
chown mail:mail /etc/virtual/domain.com/passwd
chmod 600 /etc/virtual/domain.com/passwd

John

I think I see the problem now. My domain name is not listed there. I have the server name and the domain.com but not the TLD at all. there is no passwd file under any of the folders in this directory. I think I messed files from the front end GUI. Do I need to go in and recreate the domain name in the gui under the admin password then? Or, have I messed it up that the db needs to be rebuilt for DA to work correctly again?

Hello,

The hostname will have an empty directory, this is normal as a domain is not supposed to be created if it's the same as the hostname. (causes email problems)

The easy way to recreate the domain with brute force is to just remove the "zone" information from the /etc/named.conf file, then DA won't know that the domain is on the server. You can then create it through the Panel.

John

hostmetro said:
Create POP3 mail account
Cannot open the user password file for reading

For FreeBSD there is an easy way to fix this.
As I don't like having to manually update and fix the permissions, I generally rely on my friend rsync.

1. Install rsync - cause it's usefull for so many things.
# cd /usr/ports/net/rsync
# make install
# rehash (cause I like to)
# cd /etc/virtual/

Here I simply pick an existing domain and copy the folder with all the permissions over to the new one.

# rsync -avz domain1.com/ domain2.com
# cd domain2.com

Simple edit the files with your favorite editor (joe, vim, ee ...) and clear out any existing configurations.
Go back into DA and create your e-mail addresses.

--

Even though this may not be of help for this thread now, someone may find it usefull later on.

Cheers!!

- Programmers do it while

Back