Can't create accounts

Avidog

Verified User
I'm moving my domain accounts from one server at ProWebSpace to a new server that uses DirectAdmin. I have a reseller's account with PWS. First I had a problem creating packages using DirectAdmin. Every attempt simply failed to create a package. Then PWS support did it for me. I appreciated that, although I'm no further ahead at being able to do it myself. Next I tried to set up new account spaces for the domains I'll be moving. I fill in the account setup form, click submit and I get a page that says my email was empty. No account is setup. I'm using Explorer 5 on an iMac.

It could be an issue with how your browser is sending the POST data. Is anyone else using a mac having these problems? Maybe send an email with your account info to [email protected] so we can help you resolve the issue. I'm sure netscape or mozilla will work until we resolve the issue. (fyi, I believe that Microsoft is dropping support for IE on the mac...)

John

I'll try it again with Netscape. And I'll take a screen shot before submitting so you can see what I entered. I only chose Explorer for the job because it's the browser that most Web site forms seem to be built to work with. I never use MS support for Explorer anyway, so that's no great loss, and I'm certainly not going to buy a new computer just to use DirectAdmin, although maybe that won't be necessary. Even if I didn't like my Mac, I'd still have to keep it because I work in publishing. In this business, if you're not running a Mac you just aren't serious about your work. The suggestion that it may be because of the way the browser processes the email sounds like the most likely problem. Before I attempt this again, with either Explorer or Netscape, I'll check my browser's email prefs and make sure they are correct. I'll also note them in case the problem persists.

We just need to need to find out what IE5 for mac is doing differently so we can modify DirectAdmin to accomodate. Send us an email and we'll give you a test form to post so that we can record what your browser is sending differently.

John

You won't believe this. I barely believe it, and I just saw it with my own eyes. I tried again with Explorer. I seldom use it so I hadn't set up my email (I always use Outlook for that). So I set up my email prefs in Explorer and tried to create an account. But I still got the empty post message. So I switched to Netscraper, the email prefs were already set up in that browser, but in Netscape the CPanel icons were not recognised as links. I couldn't even pull up the form. So I tried a long shot. I switched to iCab, an obscure browser (my favourite) made only for the Mac. It's a bit like Opera, smaller and faster than the big two, but it usually isn't much good at forms. It doesn't fully support style sheets and Javascript can give it a headache. The first thing I noticed was that the type I was entering on the form, which had been breaking up in Netscape and Explorer was crystal clear in iCab. Then I pressed submit and it worked. I still have top go back and set up emails and so forth before moving my Web files in by ftp, but I'm astonished that iCab could work when Explorer and Netcscape could not. iCab doesn't have a built in email function. It uses Outlook Express as a helper, and that's probably why it works. Anyway, let's hope that's the last problem.

I don't think that your email client settings has anything to do with what your browser is posting. I'm working on creating a little test program for you to use. All I'll need you to do is click a button. :) .. Then I'll be able to figure out whats different with your posts. If you could just send us an email then we'll reply with with link to the test program.

John

Sure, John, I can click a button. I did save two screen shots of the failures too if you still want them, although I can't see them being much use. Meanwhile, I need to create some email addresses for the new accounts. No icon for email management. Had a look at creating accounts under HELP, but found nothing on creating email accounts there. I give. Where does DirectAdmin hide our email account controls?

You have to log in as that user to do it:

username: resellername|username
password: resellerpassword

just stick a pipe ( shift+\ ) between the usernames when logging in and you'll log in as that user.

Email us your email address to [email protected] so we can send you the link.

John

>You have to log in as that user to do it:

I moved from one hosting company to another because the first one had tech help people who couldn't communicate in plain English to save their lives. PWS has always been much more literate, saving me hours - no days - of work. But the response above is an infuriating return to the old ways of my previous hosting firm.

John, you may be nice guy, but we were talking about two things, and your response was impolite because it was illiterate. Accessing your special program to figure out what's wrong with Explorer5 on the Mac, and my ability to create email accounts were the two subjects at hand. I eventually found out through trial and error that you were talking about creating email accounts, but my first assumption was that I had to login as another user on this forum to use your special diagnostic program, because your previous posts indicated that diagnosis was your main interest. Could you not have bothered to say:

You have to log in as that user to create an email account:

We are not mind readers, and that clarity would have taken seconds at the most.

By the way, it's very difficult to log in as another user, because when you log out Direct Admin doesn't actually log you out. It lets you straight back in again without a username or password being entered manually. So you just keep going back to the same account. I even deleted all my computer's security software and reloaded it, in case that software was entering my passwords without asking. But that didn't work, so the problem is with Direct Admin. Why on Earth can't there be a link that enables you to enter the username and password for the account you want to manage? That seems pretty basic.

The login as another user button takes me to an overview of the target account, but there's still no way to create an email account there. Clicking home takes me back to the reseller's panel. I have yet to get into the Direct Admin panels for the three domains I'm currently hosting. Thank God I don't have thirty to worry about. I was no great fan of WHM and Cpanel, but I'm finding Direct Admin even worse. It looks nicer, but it's much more difficult to navigate. If users like myself are going to have to get used to it, please at least try to take the few extra seconds to make your tech help responses clear.

I assume, you're off duty now, because your diagnostic program link is not in either of the mailboxes I directed you to. Maybe tomorrow we can try this again. Tonight I'll burn a little more midnight oil trying to create email accounts.

Last edited:
John, you may be nice guy, but we were talking about two things, and your response was impolite because it was illiterate.
Jesus christ am I actually reading this? You think John was being impolite because he might have sent some hard-to-figure-out e-mail? You have GOT to be kidding...

This forum is not the place for name calling. Complaints are fine (I promise not to delete any of them), but please do so in good taste. I know how frustrating it gets when things aren't working.

Avidog, e-mail is the best way to resolve this and we will attempt to make communications even clearer for you in the future.

Mark

I'm not here to argue about whether or not it's impolite to send cryptic messages on a help forum. In subsequent private communications John showed that he can, indeed, be very clear when he takes the time. That solves one problem, and is a start at restoring my faith in PWS.

But you are perhaps forgetting that I am the one who has had no email service on any account for at least a week, and have to answer for that to others. All I want is clear instructions as to how to navigate DirectAdmin to set up Web sites and email accounts. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

We seem to be more concerned with whether Explorer5 works than whether my accounts work. I don't care whether Explorer works. I don't own Microsoft. That's their problem, not mine. I have another browser that seems to work with DirectAdmin, now all I need to know is how to navigate. I can't get into client accounts. A possible fix has been posted, and when I next get half an hour to try, I'll sit down and try to implement that fix.

I just want to focus on getting the basic service I'm paying for, and nothing else.

Back