Can't update Exim, eximconf_release too old

theov

Hi all,

Running DA 1.61.5 on Centos 7.9 system.

Summary: I can't update due to eximconf_release. After forcing eximconf_release to 4.5 update works. However now I can't receive email anymore. Looks like someting with dovecot?

In CustomBuild I see "Exim 4.93.0.4 update to 4.94 is available" but when I execute that. The response is:
You cannot update Exim to a newer version that 4.94, because there is too old eximconf_release set in the options.conf file (4.5 is required).

In /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf I see:
#Mail Settings
exim=yes
eximconf=yes
eximconf_release=2.1
blockcracking=no
easy_spam_fighter=no
spamd=spamassassin
dovecot=yes
dovecot_conf=no
pigeonhole=no

Then I do
./build set eximconf_release 4.5
and try again. Seems to go OK.

No I can send email but not receive anymore...

Looking in /var/log/exim/mainlog I see:
<snip> R=virtual_user T=dovecot_lmtp_udp defer (-1): Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dovecot/lmtp for dovecot_lmtp_udp transport: No such file or directory
I suspect this is related, but to be honest I don't really know.

Two questions.
1: Is it dangerous to simply force eximconf_release to a higher version? Can I also just revert it?
2: Do I need to do anything following the exim update in my particular case to make dovecot work (if that's the problem)?

Thanks

You should be able to just build exim, exim_conf, dovecot and dovecot_conf without any issues on an up-to-date system. So I would just rebuild dovecot as well.

Thanks, I'll try that. In my current options.conf I have dovecot_conf=no . Should that be enabled instead?

We do use it. With Custombuild (except for MySQL/MariaDB), you can always pretty easily roll back to any configuration you had earlier. So you could try the following:

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build clean
./build update
./build set eximconf yes
./build set eximconf_release 4.5
./build set dovecot_conf yes
./build exim
./build dovecot

Did that. Seems to work now. I assume I don't need to explicitly need to do ./build exim_conf and dovecot_conf?

Thanks!

Back