CentOS 4.5 OUT

Can you explain more? I thought the current version was 5. Are they expanding on the 4 series as well? I guess I don't understand the version numbers.

It should work with the centos 4 version install theoretically as the updates are really not major changes just minor kernel updates etc.

Ok I see, its for people already using CentOS 4 so they can easily upgrade with
Code:
yum update

To Clarify: All CentOS versions, based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux) will continue to be updated for years, even after new versions are created. There's no reason to switch to CentOS 5 just because it's out; you can safely use an older version until you can no longer get updates.

Jeff

will continue to be updated for years

Thanks. I didn't know they would actually change the version numbers when they did security or bug updates. I thought when you did "yum update" it would still be the same version number but with all the updates. I just recently switched the CentOS from Fedora.

However, the first installation is not working yet. So make sure you install CentOS 4.4, install DA, then upgrade to CentOS 4.5 if you want. At least until DA supports for CentOS 4.5

From time to time they change the version number. They do that to keep in step with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. I don't have any idea how Red Hat decides when to use a new version number; you might want to ask them ;) .

You can probably get the first install to work (not tried) by changing the /etc/redhat-release file so it shows 4.4 instead of 4.5. Untested.

Jeff

Hello,

I have changed the install scripts to support 4.5 .. I have not tested 4.5 myself, but in theory is should work now.

John

Hello,

I have changed the install scripts to support 4.5 .. I have not tested 4.5 myself, but in theory is should work now.

John
Hello,

I just installed CentOS 4.4 i386 (minimal install) and installed gcc and gcc-c++ as usual. Then, I did yum -y update and rebooted the machine which made it CentOS 4.5 with kernel 2.6.9-55. However, when I tried installing DA (license was set to CentOS 4.4), it was requesting flex, byson, etc to be installed and it always stopped with errors. Then, I tried setting the license to CentOS 5 and still it returned error. So, I set the license back to 4.4 and modified /etc/redhat-release from 4.5 to 4.4. Everything seems to be working ok then; at least I have not seen any problem yet.

I don't know if this happens to others, but I hope this information can be usefull.

Best regards,

DA Support do you want a centOS 4.5 VPS to test this out? It would be 64-bit like the other 4.4 we gave ya.

fresh server install,.. with Centos 4.5.

I get high cpu loads.

Apache seems to run wild.

Any pointers?

Back