Change default PHP version

Mitch

Verified User
Hi,

I have a new server and we always rouncube.
Now roundcube does not support php 8 (and I made some code changes there are still things that doesn't work as it should.)

So In custombuild I want to set my default php version back to PHP 7.

In custombuild 2 I change the php versions that I want, when I want to build PHP it looks like:

Build PHP Version 7.4 as php-fpm (default), 8.0 as php-fpm (additional), 7.1 as php-fpm (additional) and no as php-fpm (additional).

Install/update PHP.

So.. that looks good, now when I have build it and I go to webmail.domain.com/phpinfo.php (I put that file there) and it still says PHP 8...
So I don't understand why it doesn't take php 7.4 as default..

Is it because the domain uses a different default (I hope not tho?)

It sounds like PHP 8.0 got assigned to the domain itself. Go to the domain itself and change the PHP version there.

It works like this.

Also position # 1 is the cli php version.

Damn :/ I do have to change the domain PHP version to change the PHP version that is used for roundcube.. :cry:

Thanks @realcryptonight, so it works what you said.. makes me sad tho, because changing this setting also makes my domain using PHP7 :(

Roundcube is globally installed and should not use any php versions of the domains that uses roundcube... I think I have to add a feature request :/

it uses the first position. as it is globally installed. Its not a per domain app.

So why the phpversion changed of roundcube after I changed the PHP version of the domain?

dont use php8 unless you are playin around. Its not fully supported by the masses..
What is this for bad advice :/. PHP8 is stable and it should be used.. I don't know what roundcube is doing, but they want to release new stuff AND php8, while they should just upgrade there PHP version and release it..
PHP8 is released at November 26, 2020...

What is this for bad advice :/. PHP8 is stable and it should be used..
Not everyone feels as you do.
PHP8 is released at November 26, 2020...
Correct which means it not stable. I assume its getting close.
I don't know what roundcube is doing, but they want to release new stuff AND php8, while they should just upgrade there PHP version and release it..
Have you spoke to them that is not DA issue.
roundcube after I changed the PHP version of the domain?
Do you have a custom install where roundcube in the users domain?

Correct which means it not stable. I assume its getting close.
Its not stable? where did you read that? 8.0.* is stable...

Current Stable PHP 8.0.7 (Changelog) ¶

Have you spoke to them that is not DA issue.
Well, I do think It would be neat if I install global software in DA that I can select the PHP version for that software package, so maybe I can make a feature request for that, I geuss I won't help me in the near future tho.

Do you have a custom install where roundcube in the users domain?
No, I have the default install from DA in custombuild 2

where did you read that? 8.0.* is stable...
Current Stable PHP 8.0.7 (Changelog) ¶
IMHO None of that matters. Stability is not determined by the developers. Its determined by real world use. PHP is notoriously unstable when first sent out to the masses. All you have to do is search this forum "php8" and you will see it littered with the word Broken, unsupported. That because you should not adopt the most current version of PHP early or until all the Apps you use support it fully. So in this case PHP8 should not be used in DA unless you are testing or playing. OMMV

Back