Changing email/log location in directadmin.conf

bjseiler

Verified User
We are doing a project for a client and they did not read my email instructing them on the partition sizes I wanted for the FreeBSD server. So, they used the default settings and /var is only 256MB which is going to be a problem.

Can I just change the email spool/log paths in the directadmin conf file and will that solve the problem or is that just going to cause other problems down the road?

Thanks!

(fyi - the server is at another data center and I cannot repartition for some reason, I think because of the raid controller.....so, just repartitioning the way I wanted it will not work without paying for remote hands to reinstall FreeBSD)

Normaly I just create symlinks (symbolic links ln -s) to another location :) Don't know if it works correctly by just changing da's path as exim and vm-pop3d etc. will also have to be configured correctly

My hope is that I just have to change the settings because symlinks can cause nightmares down the road (when I forget about them and upgrade.....oops).

Never had that problem on any machines , as it doesn't change the behavior. Symlinks, files and dirs are all the same.

But you could do it the hard way. Change all configuration files of email related deamons and hope there won't be any problems down the road when you upgrade!

Stupid question. Can you symlink an entire directory or just individual files?

What I mean is, can I do something like this?

ln -s /var /usr/var/

(I don't remember the right order of directories in using ln, but link /var to /usr/var/ which has more space)

You can link complete directories, the order is "src" >> dst :p or something :) You'll notice it quickly enough.

First move the entire directory to it's new location (stop exim before doing it!! otherwise it could happen you lose mails :s)

after that symlink and start exim.. check for problems :)

Back