Changing from Name Based to IP Based Domain

seanst

Verified User
I changed a name based domain to an ip based domain and now I am getting this message.

This IP is being shared among many domains.
To view the domain you are looking for, simply enter the domain name in the location bar of your web browser.

I am looking through the forums to find out how to fix this and get the domain to resolve.

Thanks

Failure Error

I am getting a total failure error at dnsreport.com and the report says my nameservers for this one domain are lame.

I tried setting them up on another ip address but that didn't change.

Is there a way to salvage this domain without having to recreate everything.

Thanks

Hello,

Something along the lines is probably hanging up. The "dig" command is quite useful in these scenarios. If you have ssh on your server, type:
Code:
dig domain.com @localhost
to see if your server is locally serving the dns for the domain. If it is, then it's probably an issue of getting your parent records updated at your registrar. If you have another ssh box somewhere else, type:
Code:
dig domain.com @1.2.3.4
where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of one of your nameservers. This will check to make sure that named is working fine. If all of that is ok, then it's a registrar issue. If any of those steps failed, then you need to figure out why. (Post which one failed and what it returned)

John

Back