changing IP address that mail is sent from?

questions

Verified User
My main server IP is blacklisted, it came blacklisted from my ISP and I don't want to bother reinstalling the whole server.

I would like to just change the outgoing IP.

I've read you can do that here:

http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=152

Force exim to send email from a particular IP Last Modified: Feb 13, 2007, 4:29 pm
If you need to change the IP that is used to send email out of your systme, you can do so by editing your /etc/exim.conf.
Change:

remote_smtp:
driver = smtp
to:

remote_smtp:
driver = smtp
interface = 1.2.3.4
Where 1.2.3.4 is the IP you want exim to use.

Will this clear me and my users or will the blacklists look at the server name still too?

How can I get past this blacklist problem?

You should check first at all WHY you get blacklisted and investigate.

The blacklist usually is on IP, so change outgoing IP would work as workaround, but, if you got an issue in your server will not take that long untill the new IP you use will be blacklisted aswell.

So, first, find out where you are blacklisted and why and try to fix your server if needed.

You can check where you are blacklisted for example here: http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Regards

I see, so you get already in blacklist, well, for get a faster remove is better find out where and communicate them is a different server that you had assigned those ip today. ;)

Regards

Will this clear me and my users or will the blacklists look at the server name still too?
Most admins check by IP#, some check by hostname. In fact the SpamBlocker features built into DirectAdmin allow you to block by either.

Jeff

i've already got new IP addresses, always have, this one, like i said, was black listed from the start, and i didn't want to re-install the whole server, but now i want to switch IP and I guess hostname too... so I wonder what the process is... is it sufficient to swtich from server1.hostname.com to server2.hostname.com and change the IP or will i have to change the hostname and switch from server1.hostname.com to server2.newhostname.com?

Presuming you've never sent spam from either IP#, the former is probably good enough. But unless you really need to keep the domain name as part of your hostname for some reason, I don't see any reason to not change it.

For example, our company name is NoBaloney Internet Services and we use both nobaloney.com and nobaloney.net, but our servers are all at namelessnet.net The nobaloney domains all have registrations pointing to us, including mailing address, email address, and phone number, so our customers will be assured they can find us and we are who we say we are, but the namelessnet.net domain is registered with a proxy domain registration as our resellers will feel more comfortable with a generic hostname.

Jeff

thanks Jeff, I changed ip and hostname, the IP's were black listed from previous owner

Back