Changing server name after install?

emmanuel

Verified User
I got DA installed on the server originally using name1.com
However, there's some snag trying to create our own dns using ns1.name1.com and ns2.name2.com

So we decided the faster way to solve this is to register a new domain name2.com and use ns1.name2.com and ns2.name2.com

Would changing the server name and domain break DA? Or is there a way to do this properly without affecting DA?

Would changing the server name and domain break DA?

Since DA provides a way to change the server name it only sounds reasonable that it would not break it.

Administrator Settings

Could you please tell me where is this function located? I looked through DA but did not find a way to change the server name and did that again after seeing your post. But still no joy :(

Hope this helps:
  1. Login to DirectAdmin as the admin user.
  2. Click on the Administrator Settings link.
  3. Change the value in the "Server's Hostname" field to whatever you want the hostname to be.
  4. Click the Save button at the bottom to save your changes.

Hello,

I have done that.
now i have this e-mail.

Your hostname, , and the servername you have set in DirectAdmin, enterprise.delighttorrent.org, do not match. It is recommended that these two values are the same.

Solution:

Either change the servername in DirectAdmin or run the 'hostname.sh' script via ssh to change your hostname

Unable to resolve your hostname, . This will cause major issues when sending email.

Solution:

Create an A record for your hostname (.) in your DNS control panel. Point the hostname to your server's main IP address. Also check /etc/hosts to ensure that the server ip is correctly set.

I have change my server name on the server and put this in to DNS

can you help me

It seems as though you do not have a hostname set since the hostname listed here is blank.

"Your hostname, "

I suggest what they suggested:

run the 'hostname.sh' script via ssh to change your hostname

i have done the hostname.sh stil i have this mail.

Your hostname, , and the servername you have set in DirectAdmin, enterprise.delighttorrent.org, do not match. It is recommended that these two values are the same.

Solution:

Either change the servername in DirectAdmin or run the 'hostname.sh' script via ssh to change your hostname

Unable to resolve your hostname, . This will cause major issues when sending email.

Solution:

Create an A record for your hostname (.) in your DNS control panel. Point the hostname to your server's main IP address. Also check /etc/hosts to ensure that the server ip is correctly set

plaze help:confused: :confused:

Like the error says, check your DNS records. enterprise.delighttorrent.org doesn't appear to be defined at your nameservers.

i.e. you need something like

enterprise 7200 IN A 89.18.164.45

If you're changing your server name, it might be better to name it delighttorrent.org, same as your main domain name, than to use a non-existent subdomain name.

The funny thing is pinging enterprise.delighttorrent.org does work, just that doing a DNS report fails.

This in the DNS of my provider:

delighttorrent.org NS v2.pcextreme.nl 3600
delighttorrent.org NS v3.pcextreme.nl 3600
delighttorrent.org NS v1.pcextreme.nl 3600
delighttorrent.org MX10 mail.delighttorrent.org 3600
delighttorrent.org A 89.18.164.45 3600
*.delighttorrent.org A 89.18.164.45 3600
mail.delighttorrent.org A 89.18.164.45 3600
localhost.delighttorrent.org A 127.0.0.1 3600
enterprise.delighttorrent.org A 89.18.164.45 3600

And this is in the DNS of DA:

delighttorrent.org. A 89.18.164.45
enterprise A 89.18.164.45
ftp A 89.18.164.45
localhost A 127.0.0.1
mail A 89.18.164.45
pop A 89.18.164.45
test A 89.18.164.45
www A 89.18.164.45
www.test A 89.18.164.45
delighttorrent.org. NS v1.pcextreme.nl
delighttorrent.org. NS v2.pcextreme.nl
delighttorrent.org. NS v3.pcextreme.nl

DA Administrator Settings:

Server's Hostname enterprise.delighttorrent.org
NS1 v1.pcextreme.nl
NS2 v2.pcextreme.nl
Timeout (seconds) 60
Session Timeout (minutes) 60

Server promt:

enterprise:~# hostname
enterprise.delighttorrent.org
enterprise:~#

/etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
89.18.164.45 enterprise.delighttorrent.org

Is it just me or are you missing the IN for all your records?

Here's part of what's in my named/bind DNS zone files

xxxxxxx.com 60 IN NS ns1.yyyyyy.com
xxxxxxx.com 60 IN NS ns2.yyyyyy.com
xxxxxxx.com 60 A 202.xxx.xxx.xxx
mail 60 IN A 202.xxx.xxx.xxx

For your general information, emmanuel,

IN is optional and is assumed when no other identifier is present (it stands for Internet).

Jeff

Back