Clustering

NickZE

Directadmin looks great, it seems we can have other servers act as DNS servers, even if its by running DA on them, but what about mail?

It would be awesome to have the ability to configure mail via a database.

Even ifs something like, when setting up server, a setting "disable local mail" which would offer enter a call to, even a perl or php script that allows us to add the users to a remote primary mysql/mariadb database server, this would allow for any number of separate smtp, pop, imap and webmail servers, with a central netapp or emc back end storage, that wont need DA installed on them, because its a simple call to INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE entry on domain/users.

Yes, I accept this way will result in not knowing your users maildirs capacity, but that is easily seen in imap clients, even roundcube.

The problem with all your eggs in one basket means if some dill runs a runaway broken cgi/php script and sends the load through rood, they have knocked out not only all other web, but DNS, and mail.

we used this method with our broadband users at previous ISP, and is very efficient, you can upgrade any component in the chain without taking any mail offline, all DA needs to do is allow for that script to call on add/del/suspend/whatever, so we can customize, and use existing databases and existing software, exim is horrible, its slow, its resource hoggy, its, abhorrent and should go the way of qmail, out loadsplitting/semi-HA postfix/dovecot/mysql has been used for 10 years, the only change we made 2 years ago was replace mysql for mariadb.

It is not rocket science, its is 2016, how horrible it is to still have everything on one server.

could this please be given serious consideration, it wont be for everybody, but the medium to large players out there would kill for this.

Thank you

Yes, we have integrated Directadmin with remote services: including DNS, mail.

And actually you can use any language to write scripts: perl, bash, PHP, python, etc and even C-language.

I did create a cluster with DirectAdmin and multiple Mail/Web/DB nodes, all the scripts and the steps i used are in DA Staff hands for about a year now, hopefully one day will be implemented. :)

Best regards

I did create a cluster with DirectAdmin and multiple Mail/Web/DB nodes, all the scripts and the steps i used are in DA Staff hands for about a year now, hopefully one day will be implemented. :)

Best regards

yes, would be nice, I am concerned when development slows surely not take 12 months to pass or reject feature...

Is that my job was very rudimental, and it will require truly long time to integrate everythin in DA, because will (probably, from my prospective) require a "Slave" node to run on all the nodes and use the Multi-Server Setup for that with DA API calls.

Is not that simple, i'm not surprised it require time, but i cannot say at what point they are :)

Best regards

Is that my job was very rudimental, and it will require truly long time to integrate everythin in DA, because will (probably, from my prospective) require a "Slave" node to run on all the nodes and use the Multi-Server Setup for that with DA API calls.

Is not that simple, i'm not surprised it require time, but i cannot say at what point they are :)

Best regards

To cluster mail (or more to the point, use external mail) is very simple as exampled earlier with database, not for everyones use, no, I suspect most small webhosts are happy putting all eggs in one basket and keeping status quo, it would take someone much more familiar with DA then I though trying to understand previously linked files and intergrating that approach here will take a while time wise.

DNS, is slightly more complicated, but, with NFS its easy, just need to assign IP addresses of DNS server for zone records, applying changes to files on system nfs mounted by real NS1/NS2 etc, is easy - NFS v3 is stable :) been doing that for nearly 20 years too, long before we changed our mail setups.

Web Clustering, I wouldnt bother.

Actually DNS is quite simple with the DirectAdmin function and with DirectSlave.

What i did was a system to have multiple DA boxes completly synced, with load balancing and shared replicated storage.

Mine wasn't a simple solution, was rudimental because i just used scripts, but was very sofisticated :)

Best regards

Actually DNS is quite simple with the DirectAdmin function and with DirectSlave.

What i did was a system to have multiple DA boxes completly synced, with load balancing and shared replicated storage.

Mine wasn't a simple solution, was rudimental because i just used scripts, but was very sofisticated :)

Best regards

seems the only way its going to happen doesnt it, at least we write the scripts so know exactly what they are doing, or, supposed to do ;)

I would hope that DA write some kind os slave service that uses the same DA API's to create all the things that get created on the main DA (such as user, domains, email, dns, databases, etc.)

That would be awesome :)

Back