connection to mysql with putty

marco

Hello all!!!!

I am trying to connect to my myqsl database with programs like putty or crystal reports but it just seems impossible.
From what i understood the server is the ip of my site and I still not able to connect.

THANK'S
Ran

That depends. It could also be another server, but often it's the same server.

If you are sure you have the correct ip address, ask your host if you have SSH access, it could be disabled or running on another port then the standard port (which is 22).

@marco

Pytty itself doesn't allow to connect to MySQL. You can connect to MySQL in console with (connected with Putty):

Code:
mysql -u <username> -p --database=<database>

If you want to use special program, running on your PC, to connect to remote MySQL server, you should take into consideration next aspects:

If networking is disabled for MySQL, you won't be able to connect to your database anyway, except through socket.

If networking is not disabled for MySQL, you should find out what IP is it binded to. If it's 127.0.0.1 you need to set up a tunnel in Putty.

You can connect to MySQL in console with (connected with Putty)
Correct, that's why I asked if he had SSH access on port 22.

@Marco: You could try by using something like phpmyadmin on port 3306 to your server. However this depends on what zEitEr also explained. Currently many hosts do close port 3306 for security reasons.

HELP - Remote connecting to mysql database

Hi all

Thanks for yuor help but i am still having problem.
I'm trying to connect with Crystal Reports to my mysql database with ODBC connector.
My website and mysql server are hosted in certain ip i got from DA.
If anyone can help me i would really appreciate it!!!

Thanks
Marco

Highly unlikly your hosting provider supports odbc. Plus almost all providers block remote connections to mysql.

ssh maybe????

I Forgot to mention that from my server info it written that ssh access is off.
If this is the problem i do i fix it?

Thanks

Hi all

Thanks for yuor help but i am still having problem.
I'm trying to connect with Crystal Reports to my mysql database with ODBC connector.
My website and mysql server are hosted in certain ip i got from DA.
If anyone can help me i would really appreciate it!!!

Log in to DirectAdmin - Click on "MySQL Management" - In the column with all your databases, click on the database name for your database - Under the heading "Access Hosts" add your desktop computer IP address to the text field and click "Add host".

Now you can test if you can connect with your ODBC connector from your desktop computer.

Back