Create NS on 2nd IP

kvoul

Verified User
Hello
I installed DA on my server. On that server i will host a high traffic portal and my company's site. I own 2 IPs (1st status=sever, 2nd status=free (reseller=admin). I want the main IP of the server to go to www.myportal.gr and the 2nd IP to the NS that i will host all of my client's domains.

Questions..

1.Is that good cheme for better server perfomance?
2.How do i setup the DNS for this?
3.Do i have to change the administration settings? If yes, what changes?

Thank you

As far as I know you need 3 ip's.
One for the server itselfs for the shared domains and one for each nameserver. If you want to dedicate an ip to a domain than you need another one.

To put the record straight...

You only need 2 IP's if you're going to run your system the way most people ran it before the new Multi-Server version of DA was available.

DA will set up the primary IP as NS1.EXAMPLE.COM (automatically as far as I know) during install.

What you need to do is register IP1 as ns1.example.com and IP2 as ns2.example.com with your registrar, this should (if your registrar does it right) create a GLUE record for your nameservers so you can use them to register other domain names.

Make sure you also enter the A records for ns1 and ns2 in your DNS for example.com or else it might fail to find your nameservers.

In DA you can now specify ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com as your nameservers at the admin and reseller levels.

Remember to change example.com to your domain name!!!

Now as for the questions:
1) If you're only using 1 server for your DNS using either IP will give you the same result. When a NSLookup request is done it is broadcasted to all nameservers and the one that responds the quickest will be used.
2) See explication above
3) Yes you have to enter the nameservers in Administrator Settings.

Back