DA multi server : force zone transfer

netswitch

Verified User
Hello,

I am currently migrating accounts and using the multi dns feature.

I was wondering if there was a feature to force zone transfer even if there is nomodification made on the domaine.

Why ?
I am currently migrating accounts following those steps :
-backup user from old server
-restore files on ne server
-remove user from old server

and when I remove the user from the last server, the dns records gets removed too and I have to do a modification in the dns of the user to get it replicated..

So if I could force transfer it would ease the work.

I found an easy solution, even if it is quite "baraki style", I just do an scp of all zones files from the new host to the old host after having migrated a bunch of accounts...

try this and wait a minute or two

Code:
echo "action=rewrite&value=named" >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue

Danny, have you checked to make sure that it updates the serial numbers on all domains? If it does, that's a great solution.

Jeff

forced transfer of existing DNS records (multiserver)

Hi, it's a bit later in time but I have the same wish: to transfer my existing domains to a new DA-server, that will act as a slave/back-up nameserver.

Does the command you describe work well and achieve the desired effect safely (as in not corrupting the original records)?

This would be very convenient!

Thanks for the feedback,

Harro

A year and a half ago I wasn't sure if the serial number was updated. It is.

So the solution should work.

Note: I've never tested it or used it because I don't use the DirectAdmin solution.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff!

I did take a look at your DNS solution (master2slave) but since I still have to reach a certain level of understanding (for example how to decide how to allocate the roles of nameservers on two servers) I opted for the 'built-in' method. Perhaps short-sighted on the long run :)

If all you need is a DirectAdmin solution there's nothing wrong with the DirectAdmin soluiton.

We built our solution at almost the same time DirectAdmin was building the official DirectAdmin solutionl, to work with any BIND-based DNS system.

Because there had never been a published system for DNS with BIND.

The DirectAdmin solution requires a DirectAdmin license on each server; our solution works well for hosting companies, ISPs, etc., that have geographically based DNS servers that don't necessarily also need a DirectAdmin license.

Jeff

I found an easy solution, even if it is quite "baraki style", I just do an scp of all zones files from the new host to the old host after having migrated a bunch of accounts...

So this worked for me - simple scp all the missing zones and voila, DA multi server honours it like any other zone. (knows if its local/remote, etc)

lol

Thing is, 13 years ago there was no solution and there is none today! That was the fix, I promise.

Odd, because 13 years ago, post #4 already was a solution to force zone updates.
I've used it in the past too.

Back