DA use on FreeBSD 7.0

He said it a month and three days ago. I suppose that's a long time in the Internet world.

What if John only has a certain amount of machines available for building? What if for each new version he added he had to delete one?

What if in order to support FreeBSD 7 64-bit he had to delete CentOS 64-bit?

Okay with you?

So what if to support the next version of CentOS he had to delete all support for FreeBSD?

;)

I know you won't want to see my point, but the fact is that there are a lot of tradeoffs in supporting multiple operating systems; time, investment in servers (64-bit systems are generally more expensive to buy, and you may need to have one for each system you support), and even expertise.

My suggestion is that if you want to see support you might want to send an email to their sales department (here) and let them know exactly how many you want to buy :).

Jeff

He obviously has a 64-bit system to run the cent-os. He can either dual install with FreeBSD amd64 OR..heck I will donate a hard drive for free if that's what he needs. Hardware is cheap and eventually he will need to make DA fully 64-bit compatible if he wants to compete in the marketplace. It's not a question of "will he" but "when will he". As it stands today...all new processors are 64 bit by intel and AMD. How long do you think it will be before all the OS's will follow that...2 years? Maybe 3?

I can't say I know the numbers for how many servers run FreeBSD vs Cent OS but I have to believe it's something reasonable. I don't have access to his stats on how many downloads and DA installs are on BSD boxes but maybe he can clue us in. Hey if it's less than 1-2% I can understand but I have a feeling it's more...a lot more.

You seem to state a lot of "what ifs" but I would think an actual reason or response from DA (John I guess?) would be appropriate.

This doesn't need to be an arguement either. I can't see why people can't request a 64-bit FreeBSD compatible version. No one is up in arms about it. We are just voicing that we would like to see it. Do you think it's fair to tell us "he said no so stfu" because essentially that's what you are telling us.

I am going to TRY and run a 64-bit FreeBSD version of DA. I might fail. I might succeed. But one thing for sure. I will probably post my problems for other DA members to possibly help. I will certainly be willing to help other DA users with whatever I learn as well. DA is welcome to use whatever I find out for their own purposes. Maybe running 64-bit compatible isn't as hard as you make it sound. A few tweaks to FreeBSD for 32-bit compatibility mode and heck...it might work just fine. A few have already reported they have accomplished this.

So in conclusion. I hope you have a great day and I hope you reconsider your stance on us voicing our opinion over the matter.

Thank you.

He said it a month and three days ago. I suppose that's a long time in the Internet world.

What if John only has a certain amount of machines available for building? What if for each new version he added he had to delete one?

What if in order to support FreeBSD 7 64-bit he had to delete CentOS 64-bit?

Okay with you?

So what if to support the next version of CentOS he had to delete all support for FreeBSD?
LOL
Please, start thinking out of the box.

If I was him, I would just buy another hard drive for it.
Is 80GB enough? We have 100 80GB hdds lying around, these are worth pennies as no one is going to need them any more.

I know you won't want to see my point, but the fact is that there are a lot of tradeoffs in supporting multiple operating systems; time, investment in servers (64-bit systems are generally more expensive to buy, and you may need to have one for each system you support), and even expertise.

I can get you new 64bit system for less than 200 pounds from the shop next block. There is no need to exaggerate.

My suggestion is that if you want to see support you might want to send an email to their sales department (here) and let them know exactly how many you want to buy :).

Jeff

Well, at least one. But the others will follow.

On the other hand, if other panel providers can prepare versions for 64bit freebsd, why DA can't?
Is there some kind of opposing force against FreeBSD or what?

Additionally - 64 bit systems are the way to go.
There is no point in sticking to 32bit with hardware ready for 64bit?
Believe me - 64bit systems will stay with us for very, very long.

What I'm hoping for with my post is that those who want to see 64-bit BSD will write to sales and ask for it, as I think this is the best chance for having it done.

Jeff

I add to the guys dissapointed in john's decision, I dont want to think DA is a pro redhat type software and equally supports all its operating systems. They support freebsd 32bit so logically they should support 64bit. In terms of hardware well DA are supporting old EOL operating systems, so they could stop supporting them to make room for new ones.

Redhat Linux 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, 9.0
RedHat Fedora 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
RedHat Enterprise / CentOS 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 (64-bit: 4.1 - 4.5, 5.0, 5.1)
FreeBSD 4.7, 4.8, 4.9, 4.10, 4.11, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.2.1, 5.3, 5.4, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 7.0 (beta/unstable/not recommended)

Debian Sarge/Woody 3.1/Etch 4.0/Ubuntu (these are all variants of debian)

Rehat linux is long gone, freebsd 4.x is history, EOL versions of fedora core and centos and bear in mind they both essentially the same operating system as well.

As reported here:
http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137119&postcount=33
DA successfully runs under freebsd 7 64 bit. Only thing you should manually compile from ports some software. In this case software will compiled with 64-bit support.

So, I think the best solution of this problem is adding a feature of compilling all DA-related software from ports (for FreeBSD).
This would be great!

As for me, I am using DA only as Web Control panel for hosting. All related software is compiled from ports. And I know many people that have similar setup.

Of course this way require some freebsd skill, but this way also has many advantages. In particular it could resolve problem with 64bit support.

Seen that post as well. Will test it as soon as I get some time.

Me too for sure. It gives me some hope. Also make sure to copy and paste those instructions just in case this thread or that post is deleted. :)

:D

Well,

I can provide support on the AMD64 platform where needed. I am not a coder for the FreeBSD project, but I am a member of the FreeBSD project, running in various groups (src/secteam/doc etc). So I might be able to assist. John: if needed can you contact me so that we can work something out to have DA support on 64-bit FreeBSD? I would LOVE to have support for that so that I can get rid of my 32bit versions :)

Note that I am talking about Native FreeBSD versions, not compatible versions or anything.

(and yes, I would enfavor the dismissal of unsupported FreeBSD versions 4.x and 5.x, even 6.1,6.2 are no longer supported by our Security Team), which should free up resources.

//Remko
FreeBSD Developer

elvandar, thanks!

As for me, I also can help with migrating DA services to compiling from freebsd ports system and runnig DA under 64 bit systems (amd64)

Currently I'm working on this and write some howtos\instructions.
Also some thread about this http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27120

I think when all instruktions will done, it's not a problem to create some script\port\howto to setup DA this way.
It may be additional advanced experimental setup, of course with support 64 bit systems.

I might have a go myself at altering DA scripts to utilise ports instead of prebuilt packages.

For example already the install script on freebsd 7 installs out of date precompiled packages that make csh crash, this wouldnt be happening if it always utilised ports, this would also stop the need to have different freebsd 5/6/7 packages as a port compiles for the system it runs on.

Now using ports for BSD would imho be a real selling point for a lot of BSD'ers looking for a control panel.

Back