Default DNS Setup

philmcdonnell

Verified User
Hello,

Is there a way to change the default DNS setup when you create a new account?

I would like to add an 'A' record for webmail.domain.com so that I can tell users to go to webmail.domain.com to access their email. Is this possible? If so how do I change the setup to do this?

Lastly how can I redirect all calls to webmail.domain.com to go to webmail.domain.com/squirrelmail?

Thanks,
Phil

You can edit the dns records on the dns management page...

I think this modification has been covered before. Have you tried searching?

jmstacey said:
You can edit the dns records on the dns management page...

I think this modification has been covered before. Have you tried searching?

Yes I do search before posting...

However I am not looking to edit the records as I know how to do that I am looking to have DA setup a new account with default DNS settings and I want to know how to change that.

Thanks,
Phil

I believe what you're looking for can be found in /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates

I don't think that only editing the dns_a.conf template will be enough. I guess you will also need to edit the virtual_host template to tell apache what webpage to serve based on the 'webmail' subdomain name.

Dont forget to move any template you're changing from the templates directory to the templates/custom directory. Change them in the custom directory.

Jeff

jlasman said:
Dont forget to move any template you're changing from the templates directory to the templates/custom directory. Change them in the custom directory.

Jeff

Do I move them or copy them? If I update the custom does that take priority over the templates directory?

Thanks,
Phil

I should have typed copy though it really shouldn't matter.

DirectAdmin looks in the custom directory first and in the templates directory only if the file doesn't exist in the tempates directory.

Jeff

There is also a README file in the templates folder that explains this (and also give some additional information).

Back