Demo or free trial..

bashy

Verified User
Hi folks, been many a year since in used DA, i have been using cPanel but the costs are crazy now. I would like to see whats what in DA now and if its worth the hassle changing over, i am sure there used to be a demo login but then this was pre-dino age, suffice to say that i cannot seem to find it, any advice, please?

Regards

Bashy

I feel like CPanel is still better even with the higher fees, I've just bought a personal license and installed. A few of the services won't start, no clear documentation of how to install a LetsEncrypt SSL certificate for the host domain, etc. No easy way to migrate from CPanel (in my case I want to manage multiple domains which had their own accounts in CPanel with a single account in DirectAdmin), no documentation of how to migrate mail only...

I feel like CPanel is still better even with the higher fees
Can't say you're wrong. Especially for people with little experience in hosting, it's easier, which is also the main reason why cPanel has higher fees.
Look at it this way. The more you want in and from a car, the more you will have to pay. Same for a control panel.

As for a clear documentation on how to install a letsencrypt certificate... -> You didn't look well in the documentation it's quite easy. But things have to work first. Seems some services were not even working in your case after an hour. That's an odd thing, because I presume you don't have a system that's so very slow. Normally after half an hour things should be working. So it's a pity you ran into that issue.

As for managing multiple domains on 1 account, that's very easy it's even the basics of DA, just add the domains in the domain manager, you can have 10 (or 20 with the plus). I don't understand your problem with that, I presume it's only with the importing from CP.

Migrating mail only can be done with imapsync. However I don't see any CP doc about that so quickly either.

Anyway, maybe you will be back later on some time. DA isn't that bad. But can take some work in some cases, which is also why it's cheaper.

No easy way to migrate from CPanel
And the other way arround it is simple?
Also from other control panels?

I have myself have some problems with DOCS, and to much going "to look like" the cpanel and therefore i think for partly those more options to fast to many bugs in first update release(s) then.
Yes not many enough are testing in Beta channel i know but make then Beta channel users cheaper ????
While testing in produktion for full paid versions is hmm. You already pay for the hosting location and so on :(

And the way support forum problem topics, is not (always) "kind" to find things or grouped them somehow to solutions somewhere also in the docs / wiki.

What method have you been using (or looking at) to migrate from cPanel? I'd say the process is simple enough.

Create a full backup of the cPanel account, upload it to /home/admin/admin_backups, chown the file to be admin readable (chown admin:admin filename.tar.gz) and use the Admin Backup/Transfer interface to restore it.

If wanting to quickly migrate all accounts on a cPanel server, you could use something like this (on the cPanel server, assumes you have root access):

mkdir -p /home/all_backups
for user in `ls /var/cpanel/users/`; do { /scripts/pkgacct ${user} /home/all_backups; }; done
rsync -avt --delete /home/all_backups/ root@DIRECTADMIN SERVER IP:/home/admin/admin_backups/ -e 'ssh -p portnumber'

Again, all you'd need to do after that is chown the cPanel backup files to admin on the destination machine, and use the Admin Backup/Transfer wizard to restore.

https://site-helper.com/evo/abackup.php may be of help if you're wanting some extra documentation.

I feel like CPanel is still better even with the higher fees
That's based on your less-than-a-day's experience. I was a CPanel customer for over ten years, and does someone need more technical skills to run DA - probably in the beginning. But even I was able to figure it out in less than a day.

Does DA offer features that CPanel avoids? Yep. A request for memcached has been out there for over seven years. Redis is open for discussion for over two years. They never got mariadb 10.4 working so they skipped it and went to 10.5.

That's based on your less-than-a-day's experience. I was a CPanel customer for over ten years, and does someone need more technical skills to run DA - probably in the beginning. But even I was able to figure it out in less than a day.

Does DA offer features that CPanel avoids? Yep. A request for memcached has been out there for over seven years. Redis is open for discussion for over two years. They never got mariadb 10.4 working so they skipped it and went to 10.5.
Sure, I get what you're saying but if this is the case then I might as well not have a control panel and just do everything from shell or just pay more money

I might as well not have a control panel and just do everything from shell
That's a bit short. You are an admin or you're not. If you're depending on cPanel and that you can click and play but mostly don't know what's going on beneath, then you're no admin. And yes, then you need cPanel.

If you are prepared to learn a little bit, it's really not that hard. There are people here on the forum to help and there are even customers now (even hobbyists with the personal license) who didn't even how to use SSH before, which are using DA.

So well.... that should say enough. But if you don't trust it and you want click and play and top support, well, then pay for the ferrari and get CP. Nobody will blame you, it's just a choice.
But if you want to save money, it's really not a big learning curve. And enough people here on the forums to help you out.

Back