[DEV] eCP - cPanel like skin for DA

gunemalli

Verified User
Hi guys,

I just started to make my 1st skin. Been working at the user side for 3+ days now to get the feeling right and to get the skin running on the token system. Give me your views about this skin. There's nothing fancy on this one. Just some tables and img tags. I wanted to create this as most of my users are familiar with cpanel, so wanted to give them what they wanted.

Btw if you guys have some better icons, please let me know.

Thanks.

Attachments

• enhancedCP1.jpg
    enhancedCP1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,513
  • enhancedCP2.jpg
    enhancedCP2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,034
Interesting. Are you going to make this available to the community? Or is it just for you?

Jeff

I'll definitely make this available for the community. :) . It will be done soon. Say like in a weeks time. I'm just messing with some stuff and and tweaking the areas which i found to have issues when i was using DA. Also i'm trying to tweak the skin a bit so that lesser clicks are needed to get something done.

BTW i have 2 questions.

1. The Icons i used are direct from cPanel x3 theme. Would cause copyright issues? Cos if i were to release this to the community i will have to rectify this.

2. If a user have multiple domains, and clicks home, he's usually redirected to the domain selector page. Is there a way that i can pass his current browsing domain and redirect him to show_domain.html?

Thanks.

1. The Icons i used are direct from cPanel x3 theme. Would cause copyright issues? Cos if i were to release this to the community i will have to rectify this.

I think this depends under which license the cPanel theme is published...

I wouldn't use cPanel icons without permission, and I doubt they'd give it to you.

I suggest you ask DirectAdmin for permission to use the already existing icons. I'd bet you'd be more likely to get permission from DirectAdmin than from cPanel.
2. If a user have multiple domains, and clicks home, he's usually redirected to the domain selector page. Is there a way that i can pass his current browsing domain and redirect him to show_domain.html?
Probably, with Java Script. I'm not an expert, or I would have done it already :).

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for your information. I too think that cPanel wouldn't give permission. But in a way don't you think i'm advertising for them? ;)

mmm... JS, will not be a good idea. I have something in my mind with goes with PHP. I will see to this.

Have somethings in my mind going about this skin and how to make some things more clearer. But i have to leave this aside for 2-3 days cos i want to get my MCTS exam done. Didn't study for it for the last couple of weeks and what was doing? Meddling with DA.

Will get back on this soon.

eCP v0.1u

Ok fellas,

Here's an update for you. eCP is now v0.1u. I've completed the task using some icons which are similar to cPanel's icon set. Please take a look at this and let me know your thoughts on this.

I will be releasing this to the public by the end of this week after completing the reseller side too.

Admin side... do we admins need graphics to get our work done? I guess not ;)

Give me your views.

Thanks

Attachments

• ecpv0.1.png
    ecpv0.1.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 722
Admin side... do we admins need graphics to get our work done? I guess not
I prefer a graphic interface; it helps me work more quickly.

But that could be just me.

As i wrote before, you can probably get permission from DirectAdmin to use their graphics.

Jeff

Thanks for the info guys. I already asked DA and they've given me permission on using their icons/graphics.

I will try to do something about the admin side too then.

Thanks again for the input.

@urgido:
A new header + color scheme is on the way. I asked a designer to get the header done and once it's done, the other sidebar colors etc. will be matched.

Oh btw here's another update to eCP. Just finished the modifications to 0.1R (Reseller side). Please check the attached image for the updated look. I'm much impressed by it myself too :eek:

I'm still not happy about the NameServer icon and might change it in the future. If someone is kind enough please do submit an icon for this.

Thanks for the input you guys/gals have given me.

Attachments

• ecpv0.1r.png
    ecpv0.1r.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 541
@Jeff,

How do you like the following interface. Let me know about your thoughts. Had to take a real beating to get the admin side done.

But i'm not satisfied with one thing though. The groupings of functions. I still feel deep inside me that this grouping is not perfect. Can you please correct some misplaced items?

Had to shorten things in the language files to give a neat output.

Oh and i think i may be able to release this by the end of this week.

PS. I haven't touched the plugin section as it involves some digging in with PHP codes. So for the moment it's left as it is.

Attachments

• ecpv0.1a.png
    ecpv0.1a.png
    190.5 KB · Views: 408
I'm probably not the right person to ask; while it looks good to me, I must admit I've never used cPanel.

Jeff

This looks interesting, good job.

I will be glad if you will share it with the community when its done.

Well Jeff,

The admin side doesn't even look remotely cpanel. So you don't have to have used cpanel. What i'm not satisfied is with the functional groupings that I've used. This not how cpanel uses. So what i'm asking is can you guys spot and correct some of those function. I can't name one, but I kinda feel this is not perfect.

I will be releasing this soon. But maybe like mid of next week as i'd to attend some other work yesterday and today. What I have completed is the main user interfaces of all 3 levels. So the remaining interfaces of all 3 levels have to be finished before I release it.

Your feedbacks are welcome.

See my post in your other thread. Are you sure this is a valid Microsoft update? From where do you get your information?

Thanks.

Jeff

See my post in your other thread. Are you sure this is a valid Microsoft update? From where do you get your information?

Thanks.

Jeff

Updated the post with more secure links. And updated the other thread thread also.

BTW, there's a small surprise waiting for you all at the demo. Check it out. Then give your comments. I'll be definitely be publishing the skin by the end of next week. Now tweaking a little bit of details.

Also i need to learn about licencing and validations :( that's wots taking the most time.

Back