Did anyone upgrade FreeBSD 6.2 to FreeBSD 6.3 with DA installed?

AnVir

Verified User
I need to upgrade OS due mod_php5 url file/socket open bug: it not resolves host names and works only by IP (http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=43057 is exactly like my trouble).
So my question is: will DA work after upgrade? I am sure for php/apache/mysql, because i did such upgrade on other box and all portinstalled software works fine. How about directadmin?

P.S. Sorry for my ugly english :)

Nothing is changed in da from 6.2 to 6.3 but there is no reason you need to upgrade.

Nothing is changed in da from 6.2 to 6.3 but there is no reason you need to upgrade.
I glad that i can safely upgrade.
But i need to do it because this bug is os-related :( I decide that after two days of googling :(
If anyone know how solve that without world upgrade - tell me please!

Why would you need to upgrade to another version? Cant you just download the latest source branch and recompile. Surely, there is a fix for that in the latest source release instead of forcing everyone to go to 6.3 just to fix a bug.

Why would you need to upgrade to another version? Cant you just download the latest source branch and recompile. Surely, there is a fix for that in the latest source release instead of forcing everyone to go to 6.3 just to fix a bug.
Ok i see...
But anyway it's too late - i did upgrade, without any troubles. As i see now server works faster, maybe some system routines was rewrote since 6.2?
And yes this bug gone and i am totally happy now :)
Thanks!

On production servers I'd be hesitant to upgrade so soon until the release has matured enough.

We're still running FreeBSD 6.1 on multiple servers and haven't yet moved to 6.2 let alone 6.3.

Just my 2 pence :)

On production servers I'd be hesitant to upgrade so soon until the release has matured enough.
We're still running FreeBSD 6.1 on multiple servers and haven't yet moved to 6.2 let alone 6.3.
Just my 2 pence :)

After upgrade to FreeBSD 6.3 problem has gone (even without php/apache rebuild . Thank you!

Glad to hear your upgrade was successful. Would you mind sharing what method you used to upgrade your box? Any downtime at all? (probably needs a reboot, no?)

Thanks!

I did upgrade just like it described in handbook. After makeworld i build generic kernel and install it in /boot/GENERIC, then i build my kernel and install it both in /boot/MY and to default location (i think it was /boot/kernel). Then i did installworld (on running production server!) and reboot. Reboot takes two minutes, after that all works fine, it is loaded with my custom kernel. There are some errors disappear after upgrade, like that resolve error in mod_php5, or errors while DA users backup (like 'lost SQL connection'), etc.

I must tell you that such upgrade on running server can be made only if you are sure what you are doing, and only when you upgrade from one minor version to another (like 6.2 => 6.3). It's dangerous anyway.

Thanks very much for sharing. It's nice to know that in at least one case, makeworld didn't hose the DA environment.

I have upgraded 3 DA servers to 6.3 with no issues.

One reason for upgrading a production server is the EoL coming in the end of May this year of the 6.1 and 6.2 release
Code:
Branch 	Release 	Type 	Release Date 	Estimated 		EoL
RELENG_6_1 	6.1-RELEASE 	Extended 	May 9, 2006 		May 31, 2008
RELENG_6_2 	6.2-RELEASE 	Normal 	        January 15, 2007 	May 31, 2008
RELENG_6_3 	6.3-RELEASE 	Extended 	January 18, 2008 	January 31, 2010

(from http://www.freebsd.org/security/)

--
Rasmus Fauske

Back