DirAdmin ServerWide Subdomain Template

sdrawkcab

Verified User
Hello,

I've attempted without any luck on using DirectAdmin's template system to create a universal server wide subdomain entry for the purpose of allowing my clients easier access to the DirectAdmin control panel.

I desire to use something like

dashboard.example.com and have it resolve to the IP address my DirectAdmin instance is running on. (As my client's accounts use separate dedicated and shared IP's other than the main IP my master domain with the DirectAdmin installation is on/using).

I'm not quite sure, but assume that I would then need to customize the HTTPD conf template to make a server wide entry for something like
dashboard.|DOMAIN| and have it use mod_proxy to connect to my master domain (will |SERVERIP| work here?) on port 2222

So, in theory I imagine it working as such:

http://dashboard.domain.com goes to http://www.mymasterdomain.com:2222

Any assistance would be appreciated, as I'm a bit confused as to wether or not I will need to use the Location directive with mod_proxy customizations, mod_rewrite, or how to setup the DNS templating for a universal subdomain to a domain on a separate IP than what the client's accounts are assigned.

Hello. Thanks for that. I once had seen that, but couldn't locate it when looking a second time. Bookmarked it now!

I do have a question about that process involving steps 2-5.

As the changes we're making are to both the virtual_host.conf, and we're forcing DirectAdmin to rewrite this file, I understand that the new apache virtualhost configuration will contain these changes.

What I may not be understanding correctly:

5) You'll also need to add a cp A record for all your domains so that cp.domain.com actually resolves. To get DA to add one by default for new zones:

As it mentions that it will "get DA to add one by default for new zones" I understand that to mean that any new zones added via DirectAdmin control panel will be configured with this A record. So my question is, will this also configure already existing zones, or will I need to manually go to each zone via DirectAdmin and add it as a customized configuration. If I do that, will the changes be lost if I force DirectAdmin to rebuild the files in the future? (I would imagine not as DirectAdmin should be storing per domain DNS customizations). I just want to be sure I don't adversely affect existing websites, or "kick against the pricks of a cactus" and create even more tedious issues to fix. Many thanks for your advice.

Back