DirectAdmin for Enterprise 6.0

redesb

Verified User
Anyone know when it will be available DirectAdmin for Red Hat Enterprise 6.0 / Scientific Linux 6.0 / CentOS 6.0 (when ready).

Only a guess, but since DirectAdmin is built on CentOS I think it's waiting for CentOS 6 to be released.

Jeff

Redhat 6 has been out for over 6 months now. There is currently no ETA on Centos 6 and the developers have pushed it back a number of times. If you look on the forums the community there is getting more annoyed by the day.

I'm starting to look at Scientific Linux (http://www.scientificlinux.org/) which is very similar to Centos but was able to release a while ago.

Either way I would recommend that DA consider building on Redhat which should allow for any binary compatible respin to be used.

Kevin

Thanks for the help Kevin,
Redhat 6 has been out for over 6 months now. There is currently no ETA on Centos 6 and the developers have pushed it back a number of times. If you look on the forums the community there is getting more annoyed by the day.

I'm starting to look at Scientific Linux (http://www.scientificlinux.org/) which is very similar to Centos but was able to release a while ago.
This is my concern. Since some months that I follow the discussions in the CentOS forum and I am increasingly concerned about the problems that arise between the user community and developer community.

In addition, there is currently a bug in the glibc updates that apparently has not yet been solved and some users are upgrading their systems using the Scientific Linux glibc library.
Either way I would recommend that DA consider building on Redhat which should allow for any binary compatible respin to be used.
+1​

This would be great, but now could also use 'SL6' to compile DirectAdmin without paying the Red Hat license.

Ramon

Perhaps. A minor difference I note is that Scientific Linux is based on Enterprise Linux, whereas CentOS is said to be a union of all licenses. I don't know if this will cause problems if DirectAdmin is compiled on SL6, and then you try to install it on a lesser Red Hat Linux.

Do you?

Jeff

Perhaps. A minor difference I note is that Scientific Linux is based on Enterprise Linux, whereas CentOS is said to be a union of all licenses. I don't know if this will cause problems if DirectAdmin is compiled on SL6, and then you try to install it on a lesser Red Hat Linux.

Do you?

Jeff

Jeff,

I don't see any issue. The license difference mostly affects how many processors and memory you are allowed between the versions. It doesn't affect applications that are running on the system.

Kevin

Hello,

I'll look at SL, as the CentOS 6 release seems a bit delayed.
If needed, we can do SL, then if/when CentOS 6 comes out later, we can always recreate the build system with CentOS 6, or just leave SL chugging along.

John

We'll be building Scientific Linux 6 shortly and doing some testing. We'll hopefully have a release within a few weeks. We're not able to wait for CentOS 6 any longer. If they do come out with CentOS 6, we can re-address it if/when that happens, but if SL6 works fine, then we may just stick with it.

John

Glad to hear it, John. We're looking to moving forward from CentOS Version 5.

Jeff

A client sent me this today:
http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa/calendar/view/2011-5

Which (if it's true) would imply that they're just about done CentOS 6 and nearing release.

The question is now, do we wait the few weeks and use it (we know it, less likely to run into surprises), or move to SL6 if it is (or is not) a better all-around choice.

I would personally prefer to wait for CentOS, since it's what we've always used , but am open to open to opinions/comments.

John

The whole point is that they should be fundamentally the same thing. I saw the timeline earlier as well and I'm very skeptical.

Do SL6. They clearly have their heads together.. the CentOS team at this point has ruined the project and people are running quick from it.. mostly to SL.

Why don't we support both platforms, SL6 and CentOS6? Low skilled home sysadmins like me (and many others on the community) would experience this like a pain in the ass. Most DA customers use CentOS so if they need to use another OS they maybe not switch from OS but from WM panel, like Plesk Cpanel and others...:(

Because they're 99.9% the exact same thing and that would be redundant. The wheels of CentOS 6 are rolling now, so we'll hold off a short while longer for them to release it (according to their calendar). We will be scrutinizing the release though; they've already got 1 strike. We prefer to stay with what we've already been using, for consistency (although SL and CentOS should be nearly identical, there could be small changes would could have major effects.. we don't know. They're different packagers so they could be different).

John

My opinion only, but an educated one:

You should be able to switch between CentOS and SL, just as you can between CentOS and Red Hat, and previously between those and WBEL.

At worst you may need to change /etc/redhat-release file.

That said, I'd say wait until the end of the month and see what the release schedule looks like then.

My reason isn't a compatibility issue so much as a marketing issue.

We can't say we're using Red Hat Linux, we can't say we're using CentOS, and has any prospect heard of Scientific Linux.

Jeff

CentOS is working perfectly fine for us - why the sudden need to rush into 6?

Why not let it come out in its own time, get a bit mature, and then move to 6?

Back